clutch button

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Kommy000

clutch button

Post by Kommy000 »

Hi,
don't know if anyone has any experience with what I believe is called a clutch button on 32' Freedom.
I don't have any and was told about it in passing when I was buying my boat.
I liked the idea of using it to rev up the engine to charge batteries faster or run fridge system.
Well, I'm not sure how to use it. Do you pull it? I tried to pull it and seems like nothing happening, I can unscrew it but I don't think it does anything.
I played with it a for a while and then when I took the boat out last week, I ended up having it disengaged since the boat was not moving at all except being pushed by a current. Almost ended up going into other boat in the marina and then in panic kept on hitting that round "button" and shifting gears and it went into gear finally and I was able to move with no issues.
At this point I'm not sure how exactly I'm supposed to engage it or dissengage it. When you pull it, does it travel much or it doesn't move at all? Do I pull it while I'm shifting hears and it disengages at that point?
What is the right way to use it?

jdpandlp

Re: clutch button

Post by jdpandlp »

Sounds like you had an exciting moment. The engine control sounds like the one I have, there are several threads on the site about these controls, usually about being frozen from corrosion. If the control is a single lever that engages the transmission with forward in one direction and reverse in the other with neutral in the middle and also control the engine RPM then the red button in the middle is just to disengage the lever from shifting the transmission. Button pulled out and you can move the lever to control engine RPM. Button pushed in and the first movement of the lever engages the transmission and then increases RPM as you continue to move the lever in that direction.

That said. I use graphite like you would use on a car lock to lubricate the shaft so it slides in and out easier. If you can get to the back of the control mechanism then a little grease goes a long way to make the lever move easier.

Best of luck.

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

I had a very similar experience after having some work done on the engine. After casting off I found out that I could not engage the transmission. A little scary in a crowded marina..
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I'm guessing that you have a Teleflex shifter. Here's a link to one: https://www.marinepartssource.com/side- ... ol-ch2100p

If this is what you have, when you press the red button, with the shifter in neutral, you can rev the engine without engaging the prop. To get it to engage, move the throttle back into the neutral position and the button should pop back out.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org