Water coming in at shaft

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
lee

Water coming in at shaft

Post by lee »

Just splashed my freedom 30 and when I started my engine I had water coming in where the shaft enters the engine compartment while the engine is idling. It’s splashes as it vibrates. I’ve never worked with the shaft seal on these. Any ideas?

rvivian

Re: Water coming in at shaft

Post by rvivian »

The length available in a Freedom 30 is not enough for most shaft seals. Contact Paul Dennis at http://www.warrenriverboatworks.com/. He stocks a custom cut down waterless shaft seal for these Freedoms.

Do not install a Norscott seal as when it fails it dumps transmission oil into the ocean.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

lee

Post by lee »

Thank you I have talked to Paul

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

Same issue with my Freedom 33. Are they the same? Boat is on the hard for the winter. I see alot of info for the 30 but did not see anything for the 33.

Thanks
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Yes, they are. Call Paul at Warren River Boatworks in Warren, RI. He recommends a special unit from Tides Marine. The discussion with him is well worth the call.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Sailing-61-North

Thanks Stephan,

I have to boat on the hard for the winter. I will take a photo tomorrow and upload the leak location. Just checking plus it wont go back into the water till mid may.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37

Sailing-61-North

Well it is leaking right where the shaft comes into the boat. The actual nut part on the shaft is not leaking. Is there a rubber hose that is in place at that location that may also be bad? Sorry forgot the photo. Will do it tomorrow while winterizing it.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37

Sailing-61-North

The following are photos of the leak location. I didn't see anything at the packing gland but that does not mean its the culprit. What I do see is water leaking at the red arrow spot. This is not a drip but a steady stream when the engine is running. Gets worse when placed in gear. Does not leak if the engine is off. Packing gland is slated for new packing once I get it torn out and measured. What has me concerned is the possibility that the stern tube is leaking. Really seems to be coming from the lip just above that location.
Attachments
20210204_173231_compress84.jpg
20210204_173231_compress84.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
20210204_144033_compress84.jpg
20210204_144033_compress84.jpg (82.68 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Quick look to me seems lots of evidence water is running down from above either HW heater down muffler or from muffler itself. When you run the engine it probably is pushing water through the HW heater which creates pressure so water leaks out crack. Anyway just a thought.

Sailing-61-North

I didn't think about that.... duhhh... hot water heater is an easy rule out - turn the valve off. Muffler - well not sure but wi have to figure out a way to look. Your theory has merit since it only happens when running. Boat is on the hard right now and its been in the teens for the past two weeks. But the good thing would be running the motor out of the water to see if it still leaks. One method to prove the suggestion. Past owner really didn't do it much justice.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37