Cost for replacing fuel tank in Freedom 25 diesel

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
bjohnson66

Cost for replacing fuel tank in Freedom 25 diesel

Post by bjohnson66 »

I am in the process of replacing the fuel tank in my F 25 with a Yanmar 1GM10 engine.So far my mechanic has charged me $870.00 to remove the engine and $308.00 for the tank. Have not received the bill for installing the tank and reinstalling the engine.

Has anyone had experience with this and the costs associated with it? Would appreciate any guidance you could give me.

bad

Re: Cost for replacing fuel tank in Freedom 25 diesel

Post by bad »

We are near the completion of an engine replacement. The vendor quoted $7k flat rate to remove the old engine and install the new one. This did not include the cost of the haulout or lay days. I am pretty sure we did far more work and just the way we wanted it, but it has taken 4 months. After removing our old engine - about 450 lbs, your price sounds cheap :). It took me two days - I've never done this before and I was by myself. An adventure.... A tank is usually just awkwardly located but not heavy.

You should find out what his houly rate is. In the Bay Area, something like $100 would be a low yard rate; an independent mechanic may be less, but not by much. In any case, the mechanic should be able to give you an estimate. And stick to it.

I would think putting your boat back together is going to be more time and $. Consider replacing old hoses, possibly the watermuffer, engine mounts, etc. With the engine out, do any mechanical work on the engine that is due or will be in the near future. It's usually much easier off the boat.

Best of luck,

Erik

SVBAGATELLE

Re: Cost for replacing fuel tank in Freedom 25 diesel

Post by SVBAGATELLE »

Did this include the cost of the new engine, and if so, what model?