F28 (Mull) refrigeration

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
RichF28

F28 (Mull) refrigeration

Post by RichF28 »

We purchased our boat 5 years ago, and have been using it for day sailing only. We never really looked at the ice box until recently. It has light metal plates on the walls and a temp control dial mounted on a box inside. We have no idea how to operate it, can anyone give me an idea how this works?
Freedom 28 sloop Hull #29

gamayun

Re: F28 (Mull) refrigeration

Post by gamayun »

There should be a compressor nearby. Mine is in the cockpit locker up against the wall behind the icebox, but I have a 38. See if you can trace the copper tubing that goes from the back of icebox. Maybe the compressor was removed and the cooling plate was left as is. It is not difficult to replace the whole system though it is a little pricey.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

RichF28

Post by RichF28 »

Finally had a little time after other projects to look at the refrigerator. You hit the nail on the head, the compressor is missing. Do you happen to remember the name of a system that I could put in?

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

It's an Adler Barber Cold Machine. For what it's worth, I am probably a month or two away from pulling mine and replacing the whole system. It draws something like 6 amps, which is too much for my one solar panel to handle on overcast days at sea. Happy to send you all the pieces (compressor, tubing, cold plate, condenser) if you'd like to try it out and see what happens and if you are willing to pay for shipping. It runs fine and is not a problem when on shore power. I was thinking it would need to be scrapped because the local used boat store may not take it. It's likely as old as the boat (1988) and I have the original manual. The only problem is I think these older units will release their coolant once disconnected. I need to look into this. Maybe you know?
Kynntana, Freedom 38

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

Compressor on my 28 is on the starboard side in the forward, upper part of the cockpit locker. You have to get your head inside and look up to see it. Not sure if that’s the stock location or not.

Jeff

RichF28

Post by RichF28 »

Thanks for the information, but given that we don't cruise, I can't justify the expense of replacement right now. The frozen water bottles serve will enough for a weekender.

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

Hey Carliane-I’ll take the Adler since Rich doesn’t want it. I’ll even pick it up in person! Still want to get beers at Quinn’s and hear SHTP stories. Jeff

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

You got it, Jeff! Just give me a little time to get the order in for the new one. Quinn's is still not open except for take out, I think, but the new property manager has been fixing up the buildings and the grounds including the marina. It's looking super nice. Please check back in a few weeks. Hope you are doing well.
Kynntana, Freedom 38