Water intrusion around ports

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
capt446

Water intrusion around ports

Post by capt446 »

Hello all
Just finished sea trial on 1995 F35(P) Deja Vu (hull#40). Two major problems encountered:

1. High moisture readings around most fixed ports, especially STBD side above the nav station. The ports themselves do not leak - assume the bedding is shot and water has gotten in. I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this problem and how they may have fixed it. Just a bedding problem or major replacement of the bulkhead?

2. Yanmar 27 hp diesel: maxi prop seems to be overloading the engine - how difficult is that to adjust? More importantly, engine mounts need to be replaced and possibly also the transmission seal - shows signs of leakage. Anybody done those repairs? Any engine alignment problems?

Best regards,
Andy Petruska

F32Circle

Re: Water intrusion around ports

Post by F32Circle »

Re the MaxProp, the pitch needs to be adjusted. It is readily doable. There is very good tech support and advice on settings from the distributor PYI in Seattle, A good website, and clear video for step by step if you wish to do it yourself.
I’ve been very pleased with the MaxProp for performance, feathering and backing. Only maintenance is to grease it once a year.
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

capt446

Post by capt446 »

Thanks very much. If we do wind up buying the boat I will certainly take your advice. Hope your F32 is holding up well. I owned one for a number of years sailing

capt446

Post by capt446 »

Thanks very much. If we do wind up buying the boat I will certainly take your advice. Hope your F32 is holding up well. I owned one for a number of years (hull # 40)sailing out of Newport and have many fond memories of the boat.

Dcroft61

Post by Dcroft61 »

Hi
Did you ever find out any information about the leaking ports? I'm in the process of buying a f45cc and have a similar question. There is no evidence of any leaks but what if??? How big a job is it to remove the ports and re-bed them? If there is some core decay around the ports how hard is it to repair and what's the best method??

Thanks,
Don
Don,
S/V Shasta, 1989 F45cc