Shaft Seal Squeak F30

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
lee

Shaft Seal Squeak F30

Post by lee »

IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG (47.2 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
My shaft seal has been squeaking this last season at low RPM. I had a very small water ingress when the season started (a little drip) but otherwise no issues. When you push on the shaft from outside it does not move up down/side to side at all. Other than the squeaking at low RPM it has not been an issue. Wondering if I have a problem? Any other test I'm not thinking of? Is there a way to lubricate? Do I need a cutlass bearing? Looking for insights.
Thanks
Lee

BillSmith

Re: Shaft Seal Squeak F30

Post by BillSmith »

From my experience, the shaft seal needs to be 'burped' after periods of inactivity. The water in seal dissipates, creates a vacuum and the shaft squeaking is overheating do to lack of water.

Burping is simple. Place a rag in your hand, pull back seal toward prop shaft (aft). Small gush of water before you release it. Don't get rag caught, mop up excess, watch to see if particles create a less than stellar seal.

Am questioning the squeak at low RPMs. Until I knew that I was doing, only encountered squealing at higher RPMs, generally at while underway. Could let it cool and limp along with no squeal if allowed to periodically cool. Not the best situation, but got me through the Capt. Dumb Guy phase of boat ownership.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

lee

Post by lee »

The squeal starts as soon as it is in gear. No time to heat up.

anthony

Post by anthony »

Last year I replaced the Syntron shaft seal due to a leak.
Found the new Syntron replacement to leak as well.
The shaft had worn from the carbon rings in the Syntron seal.
I ended up installing a new shaft and seal provided by Paul Dennis.