Update -- FIXED ! : Kanzaki Transmission Removal (F36 Yanmar 36mf30)

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
mrleinweber

Update -- FIXED ! : Kanzaki Transmission Removal (F36 Yanmar 36mf30)

Post by mrleinweber »

Question:

The Yanmar KM2P-1 Kanzaki transmission on my Freedom 36 needs service. I have watched numerous YouTube Videos and read manuals and I have made progress.

I have a Yanmar 3gmf30f and the Kanzaki transmission).

The Shift cable has been removed and is clear.
Misc Wires have been removed and all is clear.
The Shaft plate fully clear and I have the room I need to slide it back/off.
All the bolts holding the Transmission have been removed and I can rotate/turn the transmission a little to confirm nothing is holding it.

I am able to separate the Transmission from the Engine by about 1/16 of an inch and have used a couple of screwdrivers (see attached photo) to try and get the transmission to slide off. From how it looks in the videos/docs it should just slide off the engine gear/sprocket.

BUT- it does NOT slide off as I had hoped. I have stopped trying to widge/force it off and instead thought I would ask here.

Does anyone have any tips ? Am I missing something or need to take something else off ? I plan to bring it to Mack Boring in NJ when I get it off..

Thanks in advance for any guidance/help/magic tips.

Regards, Michael
IMG_1471.jpg
IMG_1471.jpg (823.27 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
Last edited by mrleinweber on Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

peaceandfreedom

Re: Question: Kanzaki Transmission Removal (F36 Yanmar 36mf30)

Post by peaceandfreedom »

I am facing the same issue with my transmission and engine, Michael. There are no additional bolts of fasteners to remove. What you are faced with is the transmission input shaft that is stuck (rusted) to the drive disk. I have not spent a lot of time trying the free the shaft. I have sprayed penetrating oil thru the gap, hoping to loosen the shaft from the engine. No luck yet. I am also interested in finding out how others may have tackled this problem.

Happy sailing
Jim D

peaceandfreedom

Found this suggestion online.

" knock out a few spokes of the vent. Then you can get a number 12 socket in and unbolt the drive plate from the bell housing. I think there's six bolts. You'll need to turn the engine to line up each bolt with the hole you've made in the bell housing. Then the trannie will pop right out with some gentle persuasion. Then you've got a drive plate stuck on the spline. Some WD40 and a pipe should free it from the spline but my mechanic said 50% of drive plates break before they're unfrozen."

I will go this route to remove the drive plate and transmission at the same time. Then I can tackle the separation of transmission and drive plate.

Happy Sailing
Jim D

peaceandfreedom

Success.
Attachments
Cut out center rib of the vent hole.
Cut out center rib of the vent hole.
AF1E1074-7AEA-4E8D-BF68-9BFC7B8FDA8E.jpeg (3.26 MiB) Viewed 3685 times
711994B0-4D04-4751-8E37-7C4A9DF9F94B.jpeg
711994B0-4D04-4751-8E37-7C4A9DF9F94B.jpeg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 3685 times

mrleinweber

Post by mrleinweber »

Success !

Thanks to everyone who posted.

I knocked out the teeth and was able to remove the transmission exactly like the pictures above. The tranmission rod was fused into the Damper Plate and would never have come off...

Rick at East Coast transmission had me UPS him the tranny and he is servicing -- if anyone needs a Transmission person I can recommend him so far...

Great on the phone and called today to tell me what he was doing..

Anyway, I will post a couple of pics when I get it back..

Thanks, Michael

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Michael,

Can you tell us what symptoms led you to seek service?
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

mrleinweber

Post by mrleinweber »

Hello All.

it has taken me some time but we have a rebuilt transmission and it works great.

The previous symptom was that the tranmission did not shift smoothly and would not properly go into Forward..turns out the internal gears were worn after 30 years.

I removed transmission (all the details in this string were correct -- and had to knock a hole in the housing to get off the plate -- it was not bad to do and happy to answer any questions anyone may have).

The really BIG win was finding a local Yanmar Transmission EXPERT -- Rick at East Coast Transmission -- he has people from all over send him transmissions -- in fact I recently saw him on a Sailing Atticus YouTube video where they went to his shop.

In any case, Rick did an AWESOME job rebuilding my transmission, answering all my questions including a couple from the boat as I was installing..

New transmission is in place, works great !

Regards, Michael