Cutless Bearing

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Erik

Cutless Bearing

Post by Erik »

I have a 1983 33 Cat Ketch Center Board model and will eventually need to replace the cutlass shaft bearing. It is no obvious how to accomplish this. There is about 1 " of brass tubing sticking out of the keel with about 1/16" clearance between the shaft and brass tube. I see no indication of anything holding the brass tube in place. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Erik

AlanK

Re: Cutless Bearing

Post by AlanK »

When I changed my cutlles bearing on my 1982 F33 had the same mystery, Turned out there are set screws (allen wrench heads). Cant remember if there are 1 on each side or just 1. They were covered over by caulk and bottom paint but with close examination and a little scraping I was able to get at them. Since you say your bearing sticks out an inch it may have been working its way out. When you reinstall the new bearing be careful not to over tighten or it my bend the brass sleeve of the cutlets bearing and press the rubber too hard against the shaft. The key is that the bearing doesn't spin with the prop so just check for resistance from he set screws before reinstalling.
THe harder part for me was getting the shaft out and I needed a special tool that I turn screws to add leverage prying apart the coupling after removing the bolts.

Pearce

Post by Pearce »

Here is a recent post with some F36 details:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13249
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

Erik

Post by Erik »

Thanks Guys
When I come out for the winter layup I will take a good look and scrape off the bottom paint to find the set screws