Fuel guage vs actual fuel in F36/F38

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
svnirvana

Fuel guage vs actual fuel in F36/F38

Post by svnirvana »

Knowing that the diesel tank is oddly shaped with a V bottom, does anyone know what the actual amount of diesel you have is compared to what the guage says? Has anyone seen the actual shape of the tank to figure it out?

Thanks,
Tasha and Will
sv Nirvana
South Portland, Maine

RadioZephyr

Re: Fuel guage vs actual fuel in F36/F38

Post by RadioZephyr »

Here’s a drawing of the original fuel tank. I believe it’s a 35 gallon tank, though mine was replaced by the previous owner and only a 30 gallon version could fit through the companionway. The weld at the lower forward end tends to corrode and develop pinhole leaks, due to water collecting there.

As far as the gauge, I don’t trust it. I just make sure to refuel when it gets down to around the 1/2 mark, which has served me well so far.
Attachments
Freedom 38 Fuel Tank Drawing.pdf
(27.31 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

svnirvana

Post by svnirvana »

Super! Thanks. Good advice. :D

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Run the tank close to empty and then fill it, noting the gallons put in and then the gauge position. Create a label showing 1/4=x, 1/2=y, 3/4=z, etc to indicate actual gallons left. Post that next to the gauge.

Or you can measure the impedance as you fill the tank and feed that into an N2K device, which will calculate the gallons left and display it on your chartplotter, which is what I also have done.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org