Yanmar 3gm30f and Kazaki tranny

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Camino

Yanmar 3gm30f and Kazaki tranny

Post by Camino »

Hello and possible concern here on my Yanmar 3 and kazaki tranny - I’ve noticed that putting the motor in forward gear - I put the gear lever in forward, and sometimes wait for 5-10 sec to hear and feel the gear engaged - what is your experience? Also monday day I was out in sf bay and coming back turned on the motor and put into gear - after 20 sec it still didn’t engage and went ahead and pushed the throttle forward for more rpm’s - the rpm’s increased but stalled and motor quit. I restarted, put in gear and limped back - if I increased throttle the motor would sputter and stall .. back at dock and tied up I added some oil to tranny, started and went into gear and reved up to 2200 rpm and no problem

Any ideas here are appreciated as I solve this….( btw last week I did engine maintenance and no problems and engine roared nicely to life when done - engine oil tranny oil, raycor, primary engine fuel filter, oil filter, air filter and impeller, bleed back to life)…..)

Thanks
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

bad

Re: Yanmar 3gm30f and Kazaki tranny

Post by bad »

These might be separate tissues. The engine stalling could possibly be air in the fuel supply system, especially since you did work on it.

I am curious about you having added oil to the tranny at the end of your sail. Especially again since you just worked on it and it should have been topped off. I'm too lazy to do the research, but is that a mechanical transmission or hydraulic? Either way, it needs to get into gear faster, otherwise docking becomes rather awkward.

Camino

Post by Camino »

Transmission - Kazaki - is mechanical - the dip stick for the transmission has a top off mark quite near the bottom - always difficult for me to see whether the oil is at the mark or above it - especially with new oil. I couldn’t really tell so I added a bit more. Standing at the binnicle, with the tranny cover off I can clearly see when I move the gear into forward, the lever on the transmission moves but still took a second or so to click into gear….

On the stalling throttle, leaving the dock going out saw no stalling with raising the rpm’s- and the. Prorated seemed to bleed back to life after maintenance nicely as usual.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

I think Bad is correct in saying these are two separate issues.

When I had a delay in engagement in my Kanzaki transmission. it was due to a Glazed/Worn transmission cone drive. Replacing the cone drive fixed the problem. Transmission needs to be removed and opened up to perform this surgery. Having too much oil in the transmission will make this condition worse.

Happy sailing
Jim D.

Camino

Post by Camino »

Thanks. I’m going back for a sail and motor run Monday. Search so far shows (1) cheapest - buy a shim kit for the gear lever on the tranny ($5!), (2) pull the cone gear out and refinish it or (3) new tranny $$$ - we’ll see and may have been me rushing things this week.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

Jim D - btw what did the refinish of the cone run you
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Hello Tom,

The cost was one tube of abrasive compound. Looking back at my pics, I remembered it was both the fwd. and reveres gears that were glazed. I roughed up the gears and the cone with lapping compound, and reassembled the gear box. Here is a YouTube video describing this process.

https://youtu.be/UNSW5S8EXus

Happy sailing,
Jim D
Glazed and roughed  up surfaces.
Glazed and roughed up surfaces.
2E5E634A-91D8-486E-8572-E7613EC96BC9.jpeg (93.73 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
Attachments
Finished product
Finished product
E203867C-F19B-4BE9-BD2A-82B6DE7274A9.jpeg (83.38 KiB) Viewed 2948 times

Camino

Post by Camino »

I bought a new Kanzaki transmission and it’s installed - see if it works tomorrow
Cost was very low and Lucky to find it I believe — 2 hours for install time 8-)
Update - tranny worked perfectly. I have the old one if anyone wants one - just needs gear lapping…
IMG_1627.jpeg
IMG_1627.jpeg (123.03 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA