28 CK Deck Hardware?

SFBaysailor

28 CK Deck Hardware?

Post by SFBaysailor »

Some of you are familiar with my ongoing refit of Broad Reacher, 28 CK #4. I’ve finally got the New Found Metals bronze port retrofit just about done, and I’m tackling rebedding deck hardware next. I know the P/O added lots of ‘things’ to the deck, some of which was installed with mild steel hardware, unlike the solar panel that was held down with double-stick tape and wired with speaker wire...

Anyway, I digress. Wondering if any of you with 28 CK’s would be so kind as to post some photos of your deck layouts so I can try and make sense of the rats nest I’m working with. My impression is that all reefing lines (triple) have been led aft, along with every other new-to-me control line for the wishbooms.

If you’re at the boat and snapping photos, I’d love a pic of your steering cable routing, as well. P/O said he ‘fixed’ the factory routing, which makes me kind of nervous.

Finally, just wanted to let you guys know what tremendous results I’ve been getting with wet-sanding the super-oxidized gel coat with 800,1200, and 1500 grit followed with Presta Super Cut and Ultra Cutting Creme. The latter two and a swirly-brush on my RO polisher seems to be doing wonders on the nonskid, as well.

My email is jeff@crimsonbearcoffee.com if posting photos is too much of a pain. Thank you!!

seadago

Re: 28 CK Deck Hardware?

Post by seadago »

Hi Jeff
The attached is not specifically of the deck layout, but it gives you an idea of what I've done.
I had to re-direct all lines to make room for the solar panels on the coach roof.
All control lines, including reefing lines -2 per sail- lead to the cockpit.
Rafa
Attachments
array full view2.jpg
array full view2.jpg (180.93 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

andygc

Post by andygc »

This thread https://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic ... 16&t=12051 has a copy of the F28/30 CK rigging schedule. The deck diagram in the scan is lopsided, so detail is missing, but I added a list of the order the lines lie in. If you have the standard rig it's two reefing lines from each mast. You can see in Rafa's photograph the triple bullseye at the forward end of the coachroof, it's a double on the starboard side. The lines run directly from the clutches to the bullseyes and then to the blocks on the mast collar.
Sold for health reasons :(

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

seadago wrote:Hi Jeff
The attached is not specifically of the deck layout, but it gives you an idea of what I've done.
I had to re-direct all lines to make room for the solar panels on the coach roof.
All control lines, including reefing lines -2 per sail- lead to the cockpit.
Rafa
Oh wow. Great layout. I'm seeing how many 'extras' were added by the former owner of my boat. Some are obvious because they were installed with non-stainless hardware... Thank you for the photo! Can you tell me about your solar setup? I really like the flexible-panel layout you have. Also interested in the handrails. I'm about to pull the trigger on teak rails from Teak-Flex, but your stainless rails have me second-guessing.

seadago

Post by seadago »

Hi Jeff
description of the solar panel array, HW, intall, etc. is here: https://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12577
The hand rails were bought off the internet ready made. They are quite tall. With the old teak ones, in any seaway, I had to crawl along the deck to maintain a grip. Now I still have to crouch, but I can walk! I took out the old teak handrails, sanded clean and oiled, and replaced them on the inside of the coach roof as anchor points for walking about in the cabin under way.
Towards the aft end of the cabin roof, I also installed a tall hand rail on either side. Image attached. They are 45 cm tall. quite handy in providing an easy hand hold when climbing on board from a pontoon.
Fixing anything metallic on the outside not made of 316 SS grade or higher is just plain silly, IMO...
Attachments
tall hand rail.jpg
tall hand rail.jpg (2.88 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop