Thanks.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

Sailing-61-North

Re: Is this a G10 rig?

Post by Sailing-61-North »

Also I like the design. Too much roach or just right?
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37

seadago

Post by seadago »

Sailing-61-North wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:33 pm
Also I like the design. Too much roach or just right?
Mmmm.... not an easy answer to that question! Roachy and full-battened, those sails are quite powerful. They are also very efficient. Kudos to Ullman. This also means a they are a handful to manage when the wind pics up very quickly. Too much/little are relative terms. I can tell you that were I to make those sails again, I would cut them little less roachy. Not much, maybe 5 or 6 inches at the widest chord of the roach, and the sail istelf maybe a foot or so smaller at the foot. This will also help with the battens getting cought less on the topping lift of the boom when you tack.
For the rest, the three-dimentional design is just right!

To give you some idea, the original reported total sail area of the F30 CK with the wrap-around sails was 37 sq m. I always felt the boat was underpowered with these. With the new sails, I have 43 sq m, and possibly I am marginally over-canvassed. Between these two thresholds, I think you have elbow room to play with the design.

Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

Sailing-61-North

Thanks Rafael.

Just pulled the boat for winter. Working on the winterize process. I have till April before it goes back into the water so just trying to figure out the whole sail thing right-ish. I have time.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37

Sailing-61-North

Hi Rafael and others.

I am presently working on figuring out the "Reef" locations in relation to the wishbone. This setup is new to me so sorry for all the questions. Just trying to wrap my mind around the reefing process.

Reef#1. Where, in relation to the chocker, do you have yours? If I remember from a previous chat it was above the chocker? I was hoping to have it deeper to start out with.

Reef#2. Pretty obvious that this one and the 3rd reef are above the chocker. When these are placed I assume the wishbone needs to be dropped and the outhaul slackened.

In general when putting in a reef is the process just bringing the sail down or am I suppose to do something with the sail below the reef point? Like I said new concept for me.

I did remember from our previous conversation about keeping the reef point proportional between main and mizzen.
Attachments
Draft - Round 1 Main
Draft - Round 1 Main
Mainsail.DS1#1.jpg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 6 times
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37