Rigging Question for Michael

numbknots

Rigging Question for Michael

Post by numbknots »

Michel,

Numbknots here, just looking at your pics on flicr, I was checking out your rigs. How are your booms connected to mast? I'm going that direction to single ply sails myself and am taking notes.
Another question why not fathead sail shapes rather than the more tradition pointed head? Being that the pointed head is considered much less efficent, have you seen any Freedoms with this style of sail? I know the catamarans and tris all have this shape now.
Are you using running backs on mizzen with the stay sail? I have a blade and a larger mizzen staysail but haven't had either up yet. Seems like you have to have a pretty sober crew to work that set up.
Thanks Bk (alias Numbknots)
Last edited by GeoffSchultz on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post moved to own topic and renamed
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

Michel

Re: Rigging Question for Michael

Post by Michel »

Hi Numbknots, nice pic.

When comes the time and money for new sails, I will certainly go for either squarehead or large roach. The only worry will be the amount of lateral load on the mast tips. There are several Freedoms, ketches and sloops, with modern sails.

The booms are attached in the Nonsuch way. See picture below. I looked at the Tanton and Wylie configuration but could not rationalize the need for two choker lines. There's an extra pulley in my choker set up (like the nonsuch) further down the mast.It works fine. Note that the attachment deadeyes are in the middle of the aft quadrants of the masts, not just on the side of the mast. This helps reducing pulling loads on the bolts and makes winging out beyond halfway easier.
nonsuch choker.jpg
nonsuch choker.jpg (18.64 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
Here's the Wylie way:
choker_rigging_large.jpg
choker_rigging_large.jpg (35.31 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
And here's the Tanton way:
Tanton choker.jpg
Tanton choker.jpg (24.78 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Michel

Choker set-up

Post by Michel »

After a season of experimenting with the Nonsuch choker setup (see post above) I decided to change things. The block lying flat against the mast was very unhappy and screeched all the time when the choker line went around the mast to the other side. The inside (mast side) cheeks of the Lewmar blocks broke off off the choker blocks on both masts. Below is my current set-up, which hopefully is the solution. I spliced a length of 6 mm dyneema directly to the padeyes on the mast. The line is taken twice around the padeye to minimize wear on the padeye. I had to take the padeyes off the mast to do the splice, so I hope the dyneema will live a few years. Along the strop, the shackle of the choker line slides around the mast. I spliced the strop directly to the padeyes because I don't want shackles eating into the sides of my carbon fiber masts. I also hope the dyneema is soft enough not eat into the mast. As you can hopefully see the padeyes are not dead E and W on the sides of the mast, but on the SW and SE quarters of the mast. This is to accommodate winging out the wishbone beyond the W and E quarters of the mast.
choker setup.jpg
choker setup.jpg (28.09 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.