freedom 25 rigging question

shaka2

freedom 25 rigging question

Post by shaka2 »

I was wondering if someone had a rigging diagram for Freedom 25 round mast (1982).
Some of the running rigging has been removed and I'm sure how the lines should go-esp the spinnaker haylard.
Thanks,
Joe

R. Bush

Re: freedom 25 rigging question

Post by R. Bush »

There is a F25 manual posted on this site. It has several diagrams and parts lists within it - although they are not entirely complete. You should find what you are looking for there.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

shaka2

Post by shaka2 »

Thanks. I have looked at those diagrams but I thought the all round mast had a "fractional" rigged spinnaker. I have two halyards exiting the masthead: one exits to port-as they describe the spinnaker halyard in the diagrams. There is a block about 3 ' or so down from the masthead and exiting to the front of mast, but nothing running thru it?

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

Might the lower exit sheave be for a blade foresail?

shaka2

Post by shaka2 »

Perhaps, but there is no line running thru the sheave and when I purchased the boat there were 2 small foresails in the sail inventory. I assume the previous owner used them.
Not sure how the sail was raised.

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

Being a new Freedom owner I am far from an expert on this, but it is my understanding that SOME wing mast 25s had a masthead spinnaker rig, but that all of the newer round mast versions were fractional.

Some owners added a foresail to the 25s to help in getting upwind in light air. They just came up with a jib from wherever, tacked it down wherever, and hauled it up on the spinnaker halyard. Maby some previous owner of your boat wanted a bigger foresail or spinnaker and moved the halyard up to the top of the mast.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

shaka2

Post by shaka2 »

Small Ax I'm thinking that might have been the what happened. I have sent the "original" spinnaker, which was in shreds, to UK Halsey to make a knew one. I'm waiting to hear back on his opinion. I'm new to cat rigged boats. My previous was a Catalina 22. Hoping to launch in 3 weeks. Thanks for your input!

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

I have finally gotten my hands on my new boat. All the important stuff is in great shape, but the previous owner really let the rigging go to pot.

I found the lazyjacks in a rusted heap in a cockpit locker. I can rebuild them based on what I found, but I don't see anywhere on the mast to attach them. Where and how were the lazyjacks attached on the original round mast rig? Assuming the original attachment points are gone how do I add new ones?

This is my first Freedom, so I am a bit wary of drilling holes and putting screws in the carbon fibre mast. Are the masts basically indestructible, or does one have to be carefull not to weaken the structure by drilling into it?

Thanks.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

Michel

Post by Michel »

Drilling holes in a CF mast is not as problematic as sometimes thought. There are a few things to take of though.

First and foremost: never ever use self tapping screws. They pry open and destroy the laminate.

Depending on the wall thickness there are several ways to attach hardware.
1) if wall thickness allows, drill and tap thread and use machine screws and Locktite. with screws, removal of the hardware remains possible.
2) the best universal way is to use large stainless or Monel rivets. Always make sure the 'blob' on the inside of the mast is completely inside the mast and not partially in the hole. So use long enough rivets. Of course, when using rivets, removal of the hardware is more difficult.

Always try to have at least 1" distance between holes if the loads are considerable. For light load applications like lazy jacks the requirements are lower; 1/2" should do.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

shaka2

Post by shaka2 »

Small Ax;
My lazy jacks are attached to the masthead with ss machine screws on the sides of the same alum bracket that holds the sheave for my main sail haylard.
Post some pics of your Freedom .

Joe