Freedom 40 - centreboard

satwell

Freedom 40 - centreboard

Post by satwell »

Hi all, I have recently purchased Black Magic II here in Australia. She has a missing centre board (lost to a whale near the Galapagos)

Can anyone help me with some engineering type drawings so I can manufacture a new one? All help greatly appreciated

She already sails well without it, however I am sure performance will be greatly improved with.
DSC01868.jpg
DSC01868.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 6092 times

bad

Re: Freedom 40 - centreboard

Post by bad »

Welcome to the fleet. I may be one up on you because I've actually seen my centerboard :D ... The boat is on the hard, but I have not done much in terms of measuring or pictures. I may be able to do some of that in May.

Erik

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I've never seen very much of ours as I can't get the yard to block us high enough to drop it all the way down. I kept meaning to do it in the Bahamas by just anchoring in more than about 10 feet of water and then lowering it but one thing or another... :/

Anyway, welcome to the board.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

satwell

Post by satwell »

Thanks! Any help I can get before I pull her out of the water in October will be greatly apreaciated.

Ps. The info on this site has been great

bad

Post by bad »

Sorry about the radio silence - was very busy working on the boat and relaunching. Regarding the centerboard. First off, maybe Hoyt or Herreshoff still have plans available? THAT may be the easiest and answer the most questions....

Here is the limited info that I've got so far. Since yours broke, it would be interesting to know what actually happened - did the pin wear and the entire board go? Or did the board break off in some manner and a piece is still in the hull. Regardless, you will need access to the pin. On my boat one can see the front end of the centerboard trunk in the bilge and see a fiberglass structure that extends athartship to the port side of the hull. I've been told by my surveyor that one can use this as a reference and on the exterior of the hull (try also tapping with a mallet) sand and grind in the same location to remove the bottom paint and you shoud find where the pin was inserted. The area was well faired , but I'd expect that it doesn't have glass/gelcoat like the rest of the hull. Some exploratory chipping and drilling?! If the pin broke, there should be ends still in the sides of the trunk. Needless to say, you need to get any pieces out. I'm not sure what supported the pin on each side, but I would think you'd want it stationary to minimize wear.

As to the shape and size of the centerboard - - fully deployed, mine added 5' 8" to the draft. It had a span of 30" - measured in the horizontal, and a thickness of approximately 3". The bottom of the centerboad is parallel to the keelsom when it was fully down. The shape of the trunk (front) limits the There was quite a bit of it remaining in the trunk. I imagine the head is round to accomodate the rotation. Also, it went to a rectangular profile (no foil) to better spread the loads on the centerboard trunk. The board definitely weights! I've been told 2000lbs, but I was not able to verify. It was fiberglass on the outside, I would think there is lead on the inside. I have some pictures at this album

https://plus.google.com/photos/10345084 ... 5Wl1Orn2AE

Let me know if you have problems seeing them. If you want to go steel rather than fiberglass - I enjoyed this link http://www.proboat.com/building-foil-sh ... oards.html

As I was thinking through the process of making a new one, without plans, seems like a full size plywood template would let you dial in the shape that is in the trunk, bearing location, and pendant attachment point. Note that whatever yard you haul out, you need to be able to have sufficent access under the boat. Not all travel lifts can go high enough. On the other hand, th original owner of my boat was known to dig a hole :)

Erik

ausgado

Post by ausgado »

Hi, Im a bit slow on the up take. Any how I have a Freedom 33 on port Phillip, but dropped a centerplate while crusing the east coast at Pt. Douglas back in 08.
The boat I own is one of three, built by Blue Marine in Mordiallic. They had drawings for building the boat. my guess is the design for a 40' would be similar to a 33'.
If you need more detail lets know
Cheers Geoff