freedom 25 winged mast question

mjwalek

freedom 25 winged mast question

Post by mjwalek »

This is my first full season with my recently purchased Freedom 25 (1982) and am slowly learning about all the systems. I'm planning on having the mast stepped soon preparing for launch but have a question about the lower bearing. The bearing is currently sitting nicely on the mast step in the v-birth with I presume the lower grease seal (looks relatively new). The race appears to be in good shape in the mast as is the upper grease seal. Can the mast be stepped or does the bearing need to be seated in the mast base beforehand. Obviously little was holding it in place if it's sitting on the mast step. Also, do I lube the upper grease seal?
"Take Five"
1993 Freedom 35 hull #1
Jamestown, RI

moosemcclintock

Re: freedom 25 winged mast question

Post by moosemcclintock »

My bearing had axle grease all over it, I cleaned it and used super lube on it and it's very slick, it just sits on a round tubular strut. I lubed both the mast collar (stainless band around the mast) and lubed the inside of the partners, all with the super lube (I used it last year, it was good for almost the whole season, at the end of the season I was spraying CRC down the partners if it was sticking at all, moved pretty well). I just lowered the mast right onto the bearing, no problems. The whole package is pretty stable and I don't think it's possible for the step to jump the bearing.

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

There are four parts to the lower bearing. There is an upper oil seal, the race, the the roller bearing and a lower seal. All four are supposed to be installed and remain in the mast base. Remove the seal and and bearing from the strut and install them in the mast. Hopefully the lower oil seal will seat nice and tight in the mast base and keep the bearing in place..

Happy sailing
Jim D

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

To minimize the washout of lubricant, consider installing a 6" Fernco fitting intended for adapting 6" copper/plastic to 6" cast iron/clay pipe. This is a bulletproof, lifetime mast boot for less than $20 at your local plumbing supplier. You'll need to cut a little bit off the bottom so that it doesn't rub on the deck and impede rotation.

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

I have pictures of the entire service of my upper and lower bearing on my blog:
link:
http://freedom25yacht.blogspot.com/sear ... date=false

what I have found that even with all new parts the bearling prefers to sit in the boat, and the seals don't make difference. it is important to service the upper bearing as it take most of the loads and allows the mast to rotate when there is load on the mast.
cheers,
Yarrow
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

mjwalek

Post by mjwalek »

Thanks, all for the responses. The mast went up Friday with the bearing on the step without a hitch. Yarrow, I actually have been checking out your blog frequently and it's where I figured out most of the workings on the lower bearing. Thanks for posting the pictures. Perhaps I'll be seeing you in the bay sometime this summer.
"Take Five"
1993 Freedom 35 hull #1
Jamestown, RI

yarrow

Post by yarrow »

great to hear my blog posts are helping people with there F25 ?'s, sorry I have not been making many posts. But I hope to be making more regular posts since I'm starting to work on my boat more often.
cheers,
yarrow
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI