Help with cambarspar!!

gamayun

Help with cambarspar!!

Post by gamayun »

Could someone please help me figure out how to rig the cambarspar correctly?! It tacks fine, but it seems to need some kind of brake to keep it from flopping over, especially if trying to sail wing on wing, but I shouldn't have to run forward every time I change course. WHAT am I doing wrong? Is there something special with how to run the rigging?
Kynntana, Freedom 38

GeoffSchultz

Re: Help with cambarspar!!

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Welcome to Camber Spar world! :lol: The only things that I can suggest are:
  1. Pick a point of sail where you don't have the wind almost dead behind you and the main blankets the jib
  2. Get a whisker pole and use it to keep the jib to one side. Note that lots of force can be generated on it should it really need to flop to the other side.
  3. Some creative language may help convince it to stay to one side. :D
-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Is your sheet fastened to the end of the lever arm at the aft end of the camber-spar? The sheet pulling on the end of the lever arm causes the spar too flip in a tack (or jibe) and should hold the spar in the proper orientation once the sail fills and applies pressure.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

If you're wing and wing on a broad reach and the sheet is long enough, there's no reason you can't let the Camperspar jib way, way, WAY out, perpendicular to the wind and BEYOND perpendicular to the boat's centerline. It should stay there better than if it's sheeted in tighter and flying borderline close to catching some wind on the wrong side of the leech and jibing. If it does suddenly jibe, no harm done, and it's also a clear early warning that the main is seriously thinking about a sudden jibe, too.

Rick
Tallahassee

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

I'll take a look at the sheet connection, but I think it is attached to the end of the spar. I don't have a whisker pole. What kind do you have and where does it attach to the mast? I think the problem might be the length of the sheet and in not letting the jib go way out, as Rick suggests. I'll check this, too. Thanks so much everyone!!!!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Geoff,
You mentioned getting a whisker pole to hold the camber spar out. Stu Hochron has used a spinnaker pole successfully. I am thinking of adding one for those long overnight trips to Maine. Has your experience been good? Have other people used a spinnaker pole or reaching strut when wing and wing? If so, what diameter pole?

Thanks,
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I would say that a spinnaker pole would work OK if the length is appropriate. I've had 2 variable length whisker poles, both of which I've managed to lose overboard. When I had them, they worked great, but the cost of replacing them was too high and I decided that I would live with the job flip-flopping back and forth. In reality when you're in a situation where the jib is doing that, it's not generating enough pull to be doing any good.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org