Spinnaker retriever line

hkowalczyk

Spinnaker retriever line

Post by hkowalczyk »

Which side do you run the line to, Front or back of the sail? I run it to the back but I seem to get jammed up a lot and was wondering if others have better luck with it on the front side. On the freedom video it's hard to tell because of the low resolution, but it looks like they have it on the front side.

-Henri

Rick Simonds

Re: Spinnaker retriever line

Post by Rick Simonds »

I've always used mine on the aft side. I tried it on the forward side once and it worked, but I got kind of a balled-up wad of spinnaker trying to go into the bag. The aft side has the problem of the belly of the chute briefly wanting to dip into the water ahead of the boat just as the chute is starting to go into the bag, but it does go in.

Either way works, both have down sides, but, for me, aft seems better.

Rick
Tallahassee

Teke's Pride

Re: Spinnaker retriever line

Post by Teke's Pride »

I've used mine both ways and currently have mine coming from back side (primarily to protect the applique on the face of my sail). The only time I have problems with jamming is when I am on a starboard gybe; the retrieval grommet tends to hang up on the acute angle between the pulpit and the cross rail (no worries dead down wind or on the port gybe). To keep the sail out of the water, I always release the head and pull the top of the sail into the sleeve before letting go the tacks and finishing the retrieval.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke