wishbone boom outhaul

VeloFellow

wishbone boom outhaul

Post by VeloFellow »

I have been using a fixed length line on my outhaul. I do all my draft adjustment with the choker. I cant really see a reason for an adjustable outhaul except to avoid the mizzen boom interfering with the main leech in rare light wind tacking situation?

Your thoughts about the material for the fixed outhaul. I picked up a twenty feet of a low stretch modern material but am not sure the knot strength issue means anything or not for my application. Make a soft shackle? Thoughts?
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop

1980raven

Re: wishbone boom outhaul

Post by 1980raven »

I have converted my WB boom outhaul from the original design; blocks on starboard side and fixed boom lash (choker). To a system I am told is simular to a Nonsuch, where the blocks are removed from the SB side of the wishbone the clew of the sail is fixed to the boom and the fixed choker is replaced with a choker that is adjustable from the cockpit using clutch and winch. I have used the setup since early August and have much better control of sail shape. The only problem I have encountered is in order to lower the sails I need to slack off on the outhaul. This allows the boom end to drop, reducing the clearance above the helmperson's head. The solution is to tighten the topping lift prior to easing the outhaul.
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

VeloFellow

Post by VeloFellow »

It sounds like you and I are using a similar system though I have track and slides. I have had a short piece of line at the clew to the rear of the boom. A fixed outhaul. I am replacing the line as It is a unknown age or material. I have the chokers on the non winch side. So far have not needed a winch to adjust.
I find I just use a shorter helmsmen when dropping the sail and it eliminates the concern for having forgotten to tighten the topping lift. Still complaints.
But I have accepted responsibility on my vessel for world famine and war. A topping lift error, nothing.

Photos:
Attachments
mizzen choker.jpg
mizzen choker.jpg (71.22 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
main outhaul.jpg
main outhaul.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop

seadago

Post by seadago »

VeloFellow wrote:It sounds like you and I are using a similar system though I have track and slides. I have had a short piece of line at the clew to the rear of the boom. A fixed outhaul. I am replacing the line as It is a unknown age or material. I have the chokers on the non winch side. So far have not needed a winch to adjust.
I find I just use a shorter helmsmen when dropping the sail and it eliminates the concern for having forgotten to tighten the topping lift. Still complaints.
But I have accepted responsibility on my vessel for world famine and war. A topping lift error, nothing.

Photos:
Hi Mike
That's a very neat solution! I don't have tracks. New sails will be attached by parrells, so the chocker needs to also slide up and down to adjust and reef the sail. With the setup I can see in your picture, how do you prevent the boom to move/swing sideways and bang against the mast?
...a back-of-the-envelope diagram of the rigging would be very useful... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Many thanks!!
Rafael
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop