Forestay on Freedom 38

Belanich

Forestay on Freedom 38

Post by Belanich »

Hi All,
I just purchased a 1987 Freedom 38 called Dolcetto (hull 65). I'm new to the Freedom world and am confused about rigging the camber spar jib. First, how much forestay tension is necessary? I have read people saying it should be loose but that is too vague. Coming from the stayed mast world, what I think is loose might be to tight! I have a loos tension gauge, does anyone know the proper tension. Second, the PO has 1.5 inch stainless rings (I think 4 or 5) on the forestay and thin line that runs along the rail to the cockpit. I suspect that the line is a downhaul to drop the sail from the cockpit and goes through the rings to keep the line along the forestay.
Thanks,
Michael

Rick Simonds

Re: Forestay on Freedom 38

Post by Rick Simonds »

Give away your tension gauge. "Loose" means wildly, unbelievably loose. It's not really a forestay, it's more like a guide to get the sail up and down. It should not be anywhere near tight, nothing like conventional standing rigging.

When the sail is down wiggle the forestay vigorously. The middle of it should wobble back and forth at least 6 inches and maybe as much as a foot. When you are sailing the jib will drive forward and remove the slack. It's too loose if the camberspar hits the mast when you tack. Otherwise, when in doubt, make it looser.

Really, really, really loose.

Rick
Tallahassee

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Thanks Rick,
Your description of how loose is loose is perfect. So I assume I can move the forestay by the mast if I want to tack a drifter like a genoa (light air of course).

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

You can easily put up a drifter but it wouldn't surprise me if you find that the gains are borderline disappointing. I doubt that the boat would point better and Freedoms already just inherently reach so well that it probably won't add enough to be worth the rigamarole. I actually have a rope luff light air genoa that I can hank onto the forestay above the lowered camberspar jib. The improvement is so small that, quite honestly, I almost never use it.

I think your PO's rings probably are for a down haul, and I also think I'm going to steal that idea. I really want a down haul and I've tried different variations of them, nothing has worked all that well, but rings sound like a good low-friction way of doing it. Try it and post something about what you find out.

Rick
Tallahassee

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

I have found that the keys to pointing are to use the traveler -- bringing it at least 3/4 to windward -- and the vang on full. I also bought a loose-footed main, and usually keep the foot open unless it's really windy, generally above 28 knots. Doing all this, I still can't point higher than another boat with a 150% genoa, but it's close and I can sail faster than most boats in my PHRF. That main has a LOT of power :) It's also very stable, which is why you want to keep that headstay loose.

That said, I don't like the cambarspar in the jib and the sail is a pain to drop. I would like to try a roller furler, but am concerned about how that affects mast bend, which is what keeps the boat upright when others are taking hard knocks...
Kynntana, Freedom 38