Storm Sails for F-40

Capitan Sardina

Storm Sails for F-40

Post by Capitan Sardina »

I have a 1980 aft cockpit F-40 and I am considering the best way to include storm sails. The boat was converted to conventional sails on a track and booms with slab reefing. At the moment we have a a deep third reef to be used in very severy conditions. We will be refinishing the masts this year to get rid of the gelcoat cracks, all hardware will come off and it may be an opportunity to add modifications if needed. The sails are heavy and fully battened and removing them in heavy conditions is not an option. The options I am considering are:
• Add trysails lacing them gaffer style around the mast and over/on top of the working sails
• Add trysails on a separate track, but this would require drilling onto the CF masts, a thing I am very reluctant to do.

Any other ideas? Any reason why laced sails would not work/be adequate? Could/should the trysails be rigged to the boom’s outhaul to use the existing sheets?

Cheers

Alex

cberdie

Re: Storm Sails for F-40

Post by cberdie »

We have a storm staysail from Steve Thurston on our Freedom 40 Running Free. Its foot attaches to a track on centerline between the hatches. There is a dedicated staysail halyard on the front of the mizzen that is also used to launch and retrieve the dingy. It's best to run back both running backstays when using the storm sail. The sheet attaches to a block attached at the rear of the toe rail. I've, unfortunately used this sail on a number of occasions and found it perfect for its job. Its center of effort is directly over the center of resistance on all points of sail. Our top measured gust with this sail was 65 knots before the indicator blew off the mast. There's a wire luff on it. The main boom has to be brought down and lashed to deck prior to raising the staysail, and beware of chaff from the boom.
Good luck finding your solution.

Carl

Capitan Sardina

That sounds like grat idea. Thanks Carl!

My boat also has a track between the hatches. I have always been wary of rigging a staysail to avoid point loads on the mast. However, I see that rigging running backstays may take care of this.

Where does the hailyard attach to the mast? We're you able to sail to windward or forereach with just the storm staysail?

Cheers

Alex

cberdie

Post by cberdie »

Alex
The halyard fits on a bail at the top forward mizzen. I've got aluminum masts, so, I'm not sure what yours' looks like. You can point the boat in any direction you want when it's flying the closer the wind the slower the boat. Six and a half knots when the wind is aft the beam, she will sail herself. Best to avoid having to hoist it at all.

Carl

Capitan Sardina

Thanks for the info Carl.

What are the rough dimensions of the storm staysail? Does the head go all the way to the mast top?

Cheers,

Alex

cberdie

Post by cberdie »

I'm sorry but I'm about 300 miles from the boat and I don't have any idea. I think it's about 120 square feet. It seem a little smaller than a laser sail. It's Heavy material, however. It does not go to the masthead.
Steve Thurston at Quantum Sails in Bristol RI would have a better idea.

Carl