Jib top reached attachment?

gamayun

Jib top reached attachment?

Post by gamayun »

Can someone tell me where the jib top reacher sail attaches to the mast? Is it fractional or at the masthead? I have my mast down, redoing the mast crane to attach some new things including running an extra main halyard. We're at the point of finishing, and just want to make sure I haven't missed anything.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

daletournier

Re: Jib top reached attachment?

Post by daletournier »

Hi , you run a jibtop reacher from the spinnaker halyard. Its a great sail.
Cheers Dale
Freeform

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

:) Thank you. I hope to get one as soon as I finish paying off the current boat projects!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

bad

Post by bad »

Consider talking to a sail maker like Kane at Pineapple or whoever else you have a good rapport with. Esp. with your planed SHT, here may be a special sail that will get you off the coast or help with the initial reaching.

E

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Definitely. I've been using Quantum, and before they bought Haarstick I'd been saying that's what I want, but all the other things I've needed to do to the boat have been bigger priorities. And then when would we get a light wind reach to Hawaii? My understanding of the reacher is that it doesn't allow you to point as well and my asym flies well in a broad reach I like the Freedom's simple idea of not having infinite sail change options. Of course, that's my simple way of sailing right now. I've definitely seen my sailing skills evolve. A friend is suggesting installing a back stay to keep the mast from pumping when down wind in a swell. Anyone have some thoughts on this? My thought is not to do it given how much the CF flexes. I'm planning to ask a good CF rigger, too, before I do anything that might change the forces on the mast. I'll post soon the pictures of the new mast crane with the tri color, anemometer, VHF antenna, running light, windex and extra halyard attach points. It's a work of art!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Too many streams of consciousness first thing in the morning!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi, I no longer use the asymmetrical as the Jib top reacher does everything that the assymetrical does and more. it will point higher than you think, 45 to 50 degrees depending on sheeting arrangements. I dont think running back stays are nessacary. Id like to mount mine permanently on a furler.
Cheers Dale
Freeform.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

We are just about to install a somewhat flat cut 1.5 oz cruising spinnaker on a flexible furler on our F38. Should close reach well and cloth is heavy enough to stand up to some breeze. I'll report back on how close we can reach in May after trying it out. There are 2 aspects to our install that I believe are somewhat unique. I am mounting a pad-eye over the bolt hole in the top of the bow pulpit where the gun mount would typically be installed. The tack of the furler will be attached to the top of the pulpit and will avoid fowling on bow pulpit, life lines, etc. The other unique feature - we are having a UV protective sock with zipper made to cover it when not in use. Sock will be pulled up by jib halyard. When ready to use - we will simply unzip as we pull cover down and stow in sail locker. We're hoping that leaving the sail up all season will result in increased use.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

bad

Post by bad »

I was thinking a sail maker could give you a better idea of the halyard height and sail selection in general. Certainly has a lot to do with your boat, the angles it likes, and the weather.

Running backstay - we have a single one on our mizzen mast. It is fastened at the front of the mast, on the crane, inside any forward masthead halyards. We run it to the base of the mast before a gybe, gybe both the mizzen and the reacher, then take it to the transom on the weather side. Pretty simple. It is spectra, with a 4x1 tackle and a snap shackle on the end.

e

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Sailmon,
Do you know the distance from the spin sheave to the top of the gun mount fitting? I a looking for a used asym.
Thanks
Michael Belanich
s/v Dolcetto F38 #65