Camberspar help

CaptLen

Camberspar help

Post by CaptLen »

First sail on "Snap Roll", an '86 38.
The camberspar, which I have never used before having only sailed on Freedom ketches, seems very stiff in operation. There is good tension on the clew and we could barely rotate the spar after tacking- lots of effort required. Later ( windy day) it did flop by itself. After we got in I sprayed some McLube on the forward end of the spar.
Anyone have further suggestions?
The block for the sheet is on the short side of the end fitting- the longer attachment would have seemed to make more sense but it would not chsnge orientation at all.
The yard rigged it so I assume it's right but don't know.
Thanks in advance for hints

CaptLen

Re: Camberspar help

Post by CaptLen »

I may not have been clear - thank you all for the prompt replies- my problem is that the camberspar does not reorient itself when we tack- we end up having to go forward and wrestle with it to get it to provide proper camber on the new tack
Further thoughts?

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

The long arm connects to the jib sheet. Should help.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

CaptLen

Post by CaptLen »

Thanks, Ed- right now the long arm is pointed up- we'll dissassemble and see if we can flip it. How tight is the clew supposed to be? This was set up very tight, putting a lot of compression on the spar- loosened a bit it rotates very easily.

CaptLen

Post by CaptLen »

The good news- the camberspar is now behaving itself. The bad news- yup- I dropped the little stainless steel guide off the forestay. Is the PA address shown in documents section still valid for camberspar, or-'does anyone have contact info to get another

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

No, Paul Dennis at Warren River Boatworks now has those parts.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

CaptLen

Post by CaptLen »

Thank you! Paul has done lots of work for me, so I'll call him Tuesday- I should have thought of him!

wcwcwc

Post by wcwcwc »

When you get the new guide you will notice a small hole in it. Use that to attach a short cord to it and to the forestay. This will prevent another loss.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

CaptLen

Post by CaptLen »

Thanks to everyone again- I will definitely use whipping cord through that little hole! Paul had one - a friend picked it up already.