Mast maintenance

Erik

Mast maintenance

Post by Erik »

I am about to pull both masts to refinish them. Does anyone out there know if there is any mechanical reason to repaint them BLACK, paint type, any recommendations.

Thanks for your help
Erik
33 Cat Ketch # 74

gamayun

Re: Mast maintenance

Post by gamayun »

I love the idea of black masts but I don't think you can paint straight over gel coat without degreasing it or abrading it first. You'll need to investigate what kind of prep needs to be done to it to get the paint to stick.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

FWIW,
I just had my mast painted awlgrip (boatyard). Can not give you a long term thought. I painted mine white. I felt that the white color would reflect heat and hence not break down as quickly. I personally painted the boom to match with easy poxy paint by petit. It looks great too. Admitedly, the easy poxy is not as expensive as the awlgrip but it is covered most of the time by the sailcover and felt the added expense was just not worth it. The mast as you know is the carbon fiber and the boom aluminum. The color match is excellent. I don't see why you could not paint it yourself also. The cost of the paint is minimal compared to the cost of the labor. In retrospect, I probably would paint mine myself if I were doing it again. Other details the mast was sprayed and the boom brushed. I'm pretty happy with the brushed surface boom, but it is not as nice as the mast. But, a heck of a lot cheaper. Best.

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

I neglected to mention that there is an additive that one can use for the easy proxy that makes it more durable and more like the more durable polyurethanes that would most likely do well for the mast (UV exposure). I didn’t use as the boom is covered most of time.
Last edited by drcscruggs on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erik

Post by Erik »

Thanks for your responses. I plan to lightly sand the mast prior to painting. White would be my color of choice haven't chosen the type of paint as yet needs more research.

Thanks again
Erik

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I’ve used AwlGrip Matterhorn White with great success,
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

lewharve

Post by lewharve »

my mast got a 1 inch puncture in it, how should I repair it, the surveyor forgot to mention that