F35 Spinnaker Hardware Questions

Mark K.

F35 Spinnaker Hardware Questions

Post by Mark K. »

Hello All,
I have a 1994 F35 Pedrick and it came with a spinnaker that I have never raised and am hoping to get some help with some basic questions.
What I have from a previous owner is: spinnaker, spinnaker sheets, halyard, whisker pole spinnaker car track bolted vertically to the front of the mast and snatch blocks.
What I don't have is the dousing sleeve and spinnaker pole slide ring that rides on the track on the mast that the whisker pole attaches to. The track is a Harken and I am having trouble finding the right pole slide to connect the whisker pole to the track. The only thing I can find from Harken to fit the track that is a mainsheet traveller which is way overkill for this application. Any ideas?
The other question is how to run the spinnaker sheets back the cockpit. I'm thinking I can get away with attaching the snatch blocks to the toe rail and then run the lines to the cabin top winches on either side of the companionway.
At this point I am not willing to install dedicated tracks and winches, I just want to get the spinnaker somewhat functional to see how much I might use it. Attached are a couple of photos that might help.
Thank you,
Mark K.
Attachments
IMG_0700.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg (199.53 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
Encore5.jpg
Encore5.jpg (27.52 KiB) Viewed 3600 times

BillSmith

Re: F35 Spinnaker Hardware Questions

Post by BillSmith »

Can't help much other than to relate the following...

No spinnaker present when we bought our F35 Pedrick. However, there is a spinnaker halyard present routed back to cockpit. No other hardware to my untrained eye. There was black tape, as well as rigger's tape, marking the toe rail. Suspect it was for flying a chute.

If I recall correctly, Tom's boat flies a spinnaker. You should get experienced advice soon.

Wife was cleaning the boat yesterday and we dried the winter tarp by raising it via the spinnaker halyard and securing it to the rail. Teased her that we'd try that on a downwind run sometime soon.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

I'll try to jump in - I have a different set up as I added an asymmetrical and not a spinnaker. The asymmetrical does have a sock or chute. Most spinnakers will have a turtle or bag to launch the sail from . Spinnakers are usually dropped to the deck and then stuffed into the turtle. My asymmetrical is tacked to the bowsprit with an ATN tacker held to the furled jib (looks like you have a camber spar). The asymmetrical has no mast spinnaker pole or forguy or after guy. I have a single clew with 2 sheets attached - sheets lead to aft toe rail mounted snatch blocks (as you thought) positioned so they lead directly to the two (and only two!) winches on the coach roof.

Seems like with boat shows coming up - you can get great advice from Harken at a show. Show them your pics of your track. Looks like you'll need a spinnaker pole to be permanently mounted to the front of your mast on that track (the whisker pole is typically not robust enough for the loads of a spinnaker), and the car system to position the pole.

Pic below shows asymmetrical and can barely see the port block on the aft rail..... not much help I see as the pic is toooo small! AND on another note - Do you guys have access to your holding tank!? I don't and tomorrow will try to cut an access hatch panel in my wet locker so as to help me get to the hoses!
Attachments
IMG_0336 (1).jpg
IMG_0336 (1).jpg (18.82 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Mark K.

Post by Mark K. »

Thank you Tom! I realize my problem is I was asking the wrong question! I just looked at my sail and the corners are labeled Clew, Tack and Head which should mean the sail is an asymmetrical sail and not a conventional spinnaker. By your description I have all the parts I need to fly the Asymmetrical. The whisker pole and track on the mast are therefore not used for that sail.
That is always the problem when buying a used boat. It is as if the previous owner put the pieces from two or more puzzles in the same box and the next owner has to figure out why the puzzle pieces don't fit together!

Camino

Post by Camino »

Mark— ok good one! Now you could use a sock with collar. Might wanna contact Mack Sail in Florida and talk with Travis, or contact ATN directly about getting one. Makes short handed asymmetrical a lot easier. Good luck.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Hi Mark,
I run an asymetrical on my F35 Pedrick, used to run a symetrical spinnaker on my previous boat, a Freedom Mull 30 and was foredeck on a C&C 40 when I was racing.
You definitely want to go to ATN for a sock. That is where the sailmakers buy their socks that they will sell to you.
Turning blocks for the chute want to be back under the forward part of the stern pulpit (pushpit). Hold the block up with a line to a horizontal section of the pushpit. Run the sheet to the opposite side winch and it will be just above the cockpit edge. Don't try this with non-sailing friends aboard!!
You didn't mention a pole topping lift or a pole downhaul. That is a problem. I hope the chute is an asymmetrical. Hold both sides together. One should be substantially longer.
I tack mine to a line lead thru a block attached to the anchor roller. The line comes all the way aft to a cleat.

Hi Tom,
Access to the top of the holding tank is thru the back of the wet locker. Unscrew the panel and you are there. Getting in and out of the wet locker is almost as much fun as getting in and out of the lazarettes!
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Camino

Post by Camino »

Salacia- Thanks for your post! I was just about o cut my access hatch in the wet locker! I’ll try that. Mine has screws on the inboard side while the outboard/hull side looks like it’s just tabbed in place. I’ll try!

On the asymmetrical sheets I run to blocks on the aft (way aft) toe rail and then return to the same side winch- course with only 2 winches makes for interesting jibes.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA