F39PHS Staysail?

captairman

F39PHS Staysail?

Post by captairman »

Hello,
I've done some looking around and I've found a picture or two, but I have never been able to find dimensions or drawings for the staysail that is alleged to have accompanied the F39PHS. Both our masts seem to have a sturdy block and halyard on the fwd side of the masthead. I'm not entirely sure what the one on the foremast is intended for with no bowsprit or anything, but the main mast does have some (currently unused) running backstays that I imagine are meant to be loaded up when flying a stays'l.

I would greatly appreciate any insight WRT any different configurations for staysails aboard the F39, as well as what that forward block on the foremast might be good for besides tarzan swinging off the bow!

Cheers,
Sean
"Shiloh"
F39PHS

colson22

Re: F39PHS Staysail?

Post by colson22 »

Sorry to bump the thread, I have recently found foresail and a staysail for my F39PHS, let me know if you are still seeking dimensions and I will pull it out measure and photograph. Even though I have the sails, I have no idea how they would be rigged, and would really appreciate some details on how this is done.

Cheers,

Frank

captairman

Post by captairman »

colson22 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:00 pm
Sorry to bump the thread, I have recently found foresail and a staysail for my F39PHS, let me know if you are still seeking dimensions and I will pull it out measure and photograph. Even though I have the sails, I have no idea how they would be rigged, and would really appreciate some details on how this is done.

Cheers,

Frank
Frank, by no means go through the trouble on my account, but if you or your sailmaker ever has occasion to measure or photograph it, I would really appreciate that and I'm sure any of the other F39 owners would too! I have such a nice block there just begging to be used. The only picture I've seen of one rigged has been passed around here before, I believe it's a freedom express, but it gives you some idea of how it should lie. Looks like it's just attached at the toe rail, admittedly I'm not sure what the foremast is meant to do here. I'd think you'd want to drop the fore and hoist this in light air to avoid the foresail being blanketed and flopping around or auto gybing through that pretty sail.

"Shiloh"
F39PHS

ketch22

Post by ketch22 »

The image of the Freedom flying the staysail was taken circa 2007 in San Francisco Bay. It was taken by a friend of mine when I was the owner of the boat in question. The yacht is F39 Ketch 22, a Freedom Express, hull number 22. The camera is looking north with Sausalito/Richardson Bay in the background.

The staysail is attached at three points: 1) The mizzen mast spare halyard attaches to the head of the sail, 2) the clew attaches to the lee toerail. Depending on point of sail, the attachment point moves fore and aft along the rail. 3) The staysail sheet is run to a snatch block attached to the same attachment point used for the mizzen sheet, and then down to the aft toerail fairlead (you could also use a separate snatch block attached to the toe rail), and from there to a cockpit winch.

As of April 2021, Ketch 22 has a new owner preparing her for a Galapagos voyage.

I am quite pleased that the image of Ketch 22 under staysail is still making the rounds. It brings back incredibly memorable times for me.

Tom

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Hey Tom, good to hear from you here! I saw Ketch22 at Treasure Island a few weeks ago when I brought Kynntana there overnight to make for a quicker offshore foray with my 2022 PacCup crew. She's looking good and seems to be well cared for. You can be happy that she's still enjoying the bay waters. But, Galapagos....wow! How cool is that? I hope the new owner will post pictures in the new locales. I also hope you and Naty are doing well though it seems you must be with all your amazing dry land adventures that I live vicariously through on her FB posts. Happy Thanksgiving :)

Carliane
Kynntana, Freedom 38

ketch22

Post by ketch22 »

Good Morning Gamayun,

So you're doing the Pac Cup? Kewl! Ketch 22 and crew did it in 2004. The race crew all flew back to the mainland in short order after arrival, but I stayed aboard in the Kaneohe YC marina for nearly 8 weeks before sailing off to the mainland. Naty flew over for part of that (and then flew back). Great times.

I wanted to go to the Galapagos when I was in Panama with Ketch 22, but I just couldn't make it happen. So now, Naty and I are going to fly there in February. That should be fun!!

I think the new owner reads the posts on this site, so maybe he'll have a few things to say.

Good to hear from you - and good luck on your Pac Cup voyage.

tm

colson22

Post by colson22 »

Living in San Diego, my back yard is simply not big enough to photograph the sail fully said out, but I have attached photos of the Staysail and the Head Sail that were included with "Heart of Gold". I will try to run them down to the park and re-shoot the photos and confirm all measurements.

Luff on both sails is 48'

Staysail

Foot of sail is 13.5'

Foresail

Foot of the sail is 24'
Attachments
ForeSail-Bag.jpg
ForeSail-Bag.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 2074 times
Headsail-2.jpg
Headsail-2.jpg (3.69 MiB) Viewed 2074 times
Headsail-1.jpg
Headsail-1.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 2074 times