sheaves in boom of F30

SVBAGATELLE

sheaves in boom of F30

Post by SVBAGATELLE »

my sheaves have seen better days, and I am thinking of replacing the 4 in the forward end cap of my boom. Though Rigrite has the originals, they charge an arm and a leg for them ($32 each). Shaefer has a better sheave (Delrin rather than acetyl, costing $17) with slightly different dimensions: 2" rather than 2 1/4" OD, and slightly wider (5/8" rather than 9/16"). The diameter of the pin is the same (3/8" or 10mm). I would welcome any advice, but my sense is that smaller OD is not a problem, and as for width, I think there is some play in the end cap--if not enough the sheave could be ground down slightly.

jamesorr

Re: sheaves in boom of F30

Post by jamesorr »

My sheeves on my F32 were also starting to look fairly ratty, so I swapped them out for custom ones (8, 4 forward and 4 aft) in 2012. They weren't exactly cheap (I think for all 8 including tax and shipping, it came to $320), but they really are nice looking, were far better built them the original rigrite ones and haven't had a lick of problems with them (Zephyrwerks) -- just my feedback.
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Schaeffer also makes a 2 1/4 inch delrin sheave with the same width and pin as the 2 inch.

Warren River

Post by Warren River »

I have exact replacement sheaves for the Isomat boom ends now listed on my FOR SALE page of my website warrenriverboatworks.com. They are metric and made from a composite plastic which is better than the originals. Still expensive though at $21.95 each.
Paul