Is this a G10 rig?

SFBaysailor

Is this a G10 rig?

Post by SFBaysailor »

1A85C3A1-A9A1-4E7B-95A8-6CB52A57839F.jpeg
1A85C3A1-A9A1-4E7B-95A8-6CB52A57839F.jpeg (84.72 KiB) Viewed 6595 times
To the disappointment of the sparrows and spiders nesting within, I finally raised the mizzen on my 28CK. Can someone identify this setup? From reading the board, it sounds like a G10 style, but I truly have no idea. As ratty as it looks, it’s fairly crisp. My sailmaker buddy says to soak it in a garbage can with detergent and a little oxalic acid.
Another question is, how are your blocks attached to the wishbones? The previous owner has them hanging on lashings about 5 inches forward of the boom end. There are aluminum plates at the ends of the booms with holes that seem to make sense for mounting blocks...

Castaway

Re: Is this a G10 rig?

Post by Castaway »

That certainly looks like Gio Schuten's G10 rig. You'll find more about it if you search this site. "Seadago" has a 28CK with G10 sails, and he recently made some posts about it; look back in Rigging and Sails a few weeks. The thread is titled "reefing points on a cat ketch". I also posted a copy of Gio's PowerPoint presentation in the same thread, which is safe to download, despite one warning comment.

I expect Rafael will reply to this post shortly; he has plenty of pictures of 'Nausikaa', and also some current experience of sailing with the rig.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

Thanks! I read all the threads that came up in a search for “G10”. Looked at the PowerPoint, as well. I think it’s a variation of the idea. Think I tracked down the sailmaker who made them. She happens to be the mother of my sailmaker!

seadago

Post by seadago »

Hi
Yes, looks like a G10 incarnation. Each is slightly different.
My sails look fairly similar too. Pics below
I have the geodesics for my sails (built by Ullman in the UK) if you need them.
Let me know
Rafa
Attachments
Mizzen sail.jpg
Mizzen sail.jpg (13.23 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
main sail.jpg
main sail.jpg (13.02 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

Awesome-Thanks for the photos! I'm still trying to get my head around the boom attachment/outhaul 'system' the p/o has, so every pic is helpful. I've heard of people using webbing to lace the sail to the mast vs. line. The line that's on there now is old, dirty, and dried out and doesn't slide up and down the mast very nicely. Trying to decide what to use to reattach the sails after I clean them...

seadago

Post by seadago »

SFBaysailor wrote:Awesome-Thanks for the photos! I'm still trying to get my head around the boom attachment/outhaul 'system' the p/o has, so every pic is helpful. I've heard of people using webbing to lace the sail to the mast vs. line. The line that's on there now is old, dirty, and dried out and doesn't slide up and down the mast very nicely. Trying to decide what to use to reattach the sails after I clean them...
Check this thread (and others in the forum)
https://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12950
I used 20 mm wide polyester webbing up to last year. It worked OK, but in my case, it tended to get tangled in other "things" around the boom. I switched to plain, low cost 3-strand 8 mm nylon which is relatively low friction and does not tangle. Works just fine.
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

Not to highjack but does anyone have additional info on G-10?

I did download Gio G-10 power point and reviewed. I need to replace both sails thus I am trying to wrap my mind around the G-10 concept before calling a sail maker.

Thanks
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

seadago

Post by seadago »

What info do you need?
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

I have the factory blue prints to scale for the original sail plan. They show the dimension for the main and mizzen at original configuration. I guess my questions are this.

1. Pros & Cons for the G10 rig.
2. Suggestion of attachment to the mast other than install a track. From what I have read top-to-bottom lacing is not recommended. Instead I see suggestion of keeping the lacing in small loops sections around the mast.
3. For those that have done this how many reef points? My last boat (sloop) had 3 in the main and there were a few times I had to use it.
4. I do understand a weight savings. I have the old sails and they are quite large and heavy. Is it worth the effort?
5. Measurement wise - How far did you keep the sail from the mast, how much room for the out-haul and distance kept from the headboard to top of mast. Also did you have the foot raised higher than stock to minimize scooping water and better visibility?
6. I see you have the geodesics for F30. Be interested to compare to F33 if known.

Any other suggestions you can think of. This will be my 4th boat and the past three were all sloops so I do have a learning curve ahead of me once the sails are done. Looking to start the process during the winter months since the boat will be Out of Service during that time so basically trying to get this done for next summer.

Thanks
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

seadago

Post by seadago »

Sailing-61-North wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:05 pm
I have the factory blue prints to scale for the original sail plan. They show the dimension for the main and mizzen at original configuration. I guess my questions are this.

1. Pros & Cons for the G10 rig.
2. Suggestion of attachment to the mast other than install a track. From what I have read top-to-bottom lacing is not recommended. Instead I see suggestion of keeping the lacing in small loops sections around the mast.

Correct. That depends of how many reefs you have and how high you carry the boom forward. In my case, I have two reefs on both. I lace the mast to just below the second (highest) reef, and have a couple of parrels below to keep the sail attached on the lower third. Parrels move up and down below the boom, not interfering with other things. The lower reef I can set with only lowering the sail. To set the higher reef, I normally bring the boom a foot or so lower forward. As the sail comes down, the lacing line gets slack and loops over the boom choke, which allows me to set the reef. Then, if required, I re-tension the lacing line, but this is seldom required.

3. For those that have done this how many reef points? My last boat (sloop) had 3 in the main and there were a few times I had to use it.

I have two on each. I could use a third on the main.

4. I do understand a weight savings. I have the old sails and they are quite large and heavy. Is it worth the effort?

Weight saving was not a consideration when I set up the rig. Ease of use, low maintenance, and low cost base were.

5. Measurement wise - How far did you keep the sail from the mast, how much room for the out-haul and distance kept from the headboard to top of mast. Also did you have the foot raised higher than stock to minimize scooping water and better visibility?
6. I see you have the geodesics for F30. Be interested to compare to F33 if known.

Sure. Will upload the files, but keep in mind the design is not original.

Any other suggestions you can think of. This will be my 4th boat and the past three were all sloops so I do have a learning curve ahead of me once the sails are done. Looking to start the process during the winter months since the boat will be Out of Service during that time so basically trying to get this done for next summer.

Thanks
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa