How do I get the wishbooms off?

SFBaysailor

How do I get the wishbooms off?

Post by SFBaysailor »

Am I missing something? There doesn’t seem to be a bolted, or even riveted section I can remove to take off my booms. Are you really supposed to take them over the top of the masts? I want to get some welding done on mine and look into anodizing or powder coating.

Thanks! Jeff

bad

Re: How do I get the wishbooms off?

Post by bad »

no help here but... On the Wylie 30 the boom get laid on deck when the mast is installed. We always were able to use a club crane to pull and re-install the mast. Its carbonfiber though... On my wooden wishbone booms you can take the aft end fitting off and the wood flexes enough to slip the boom off the mast. There was a reasonably big crane setting pilings and I asked what he wanted to lift the booms over the top and it was in the $400 range. There was a photo years ago of a guy up the delta using one of the bridges to install his mast.... If you have clearance the boom will come off :)

But seriously for a moment: I am assuming you have aluminum extrusions and they are either heat treated and/or cold drawn for strength and to get the shape. I would be careful about welding on them because the heat is possibly going to take out the heat treatment or cold work and thus reduce the strength.

Erik

seadago

Post by seadago »

Jeff
Short answer is, yes, actually.
Booms were made in different ways. Mine are aluminium and have have two joints either end of the forward round section. Joints are bolted though. I never tried to undo the joint for fear of stripping the bolt heads or the thread on the boom, and having to rebuild the whole thing or replace altogether. So yes, off the top, or take the mast off.
I would not powder coat the boom; the coating will adsorbe moisture. Made the mistake of doing just than on the alu mast rings. Had to remove, strip, and repaint after a couple of seasons, as corrosion set in underneath the coating.
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

Good information from both of you. Thank you! I didn't see a joint, but I may have been distracted by the thousands of spiders revolting against my removal of the sails... Side note: I left the folded and rolled sails in the car overnight when I got home from the marina-bad idea. Every morning have to clear the webs that cover the entire interior of the car. Hoping a hot day takes care of the problem, otherwise I'm going to have to bug-bomb the car.

I sort of assumed they would have slip joints somewhere in the rear straight sections of the wishbone, kind of like my old Windsurfing Hawaii windsurf booms. I have an idea in my mind that I could put a webbing harness across the boom about a third of the way aft and attach the halyard to that. With another line tied to the aft block plate, I should be able to pivot the forward hoop over the top of the mast, then lower the whole shebang back down.

Thanks for the advice on the powder coating. I'll steer clear of that.

Jeff

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Bit late to reply, but I've missed the board for a few weeks.

On my wishbones, the aft end fitting, which carries the blocks as well as joining the ends, is held in place by a few blind rivets.Having forgotten to put the booms in place before re-stepping the masts, I drilled out the rivets, pulled the end free, and then was able to spring the ends apart far enough to pass round the mast. Pushed the end back in place, and refastened with monel rivets.

The other local owner did the same a year or two later; his brother-in-law had access to a crane, so he just lifted them over the masts!
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland