2 reefing points

Camino

2 reefing points

Post by Camino »

Yesterday I finally got around to eliminating the first reef, having 2 nd and 3 rd reef run internal to the boom, and have second reef exit boom stbd side And third reef line exit boom port side. Tested in typical sf bay up to 22 kts on 3 hrs run. All good. Still dealing with my fresh water - seems my tank is full as upon filling I get auto bilge pump discharge from boat with drain water in bilge, but last two times out system acts like it’s empty with sputtering and pump running with no water. A while back I tightened all the hose connections and seemed to work magic- maybe silt or sand at the faucets.... :twisted: we’ll see.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

GeoffSchultz

Re: 2 reefing points

Post by GeoffSchultz »

On my 40/40 the water tank overflows into the bilge.
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

My 1984 32 also overflows into the bilge.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

Are you waiting to put the cap on after you're done filling the water tank? If you put the cap on the deck fill immediately after filling, it will create a siphon and empty itself into the bilge.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Camino

Post by Camino »

Thanks all - I earlier made sure the vented loop for the fresh water was replaced (it was badly kinked) and made sure the vent exited to the bilge - previously it wasn’t . My problem is that although the water tank acts like it’s full with overflow to the bilge the water system can act like the tank is empty with faucets sputtering, etc. the faucets have been checked for gravel, etc., and look good. Tomorrow I’ll check the water tank outflow hose to the pump to make I have water flowing.... I’ve been thinking that when filling the tank somehow the vent clogs up and makes the tank look like it’s full or something else...... sometimes it works great, last two outings it didn’t.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

bad

Post by bad »

Check the pump outlet flow... I just had similar symptoms on a friend's boat. Sure Flow diaphram pump, small debris in the pump chamber that blocked one of the valves and prevented pressure from building. Pump was running the whole time, which you've not listed as a symptom.

I also plumbed the pump backwards and used it to blow out the supply line....

Best of luck

Camino

Post by Camino »

Bad - “check the pump valves”... do you mean the outflow hose end - as in remove the outflow hose and then check the water flow with switch on? Thanks. Right my pump stays on extraordinarily long. At any faucet initially water flow is great. Then the pump kicks in and within a minute flow dwindles significantly.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

bad

Post by bad »

Well, I wrote to check the outflow. Your can get performance info by checking current consumption (house amp meter) and water output (bucket and timer)... Some pumps are rebuildable.

I spent a fair about of time removing debris from the aerator b on one faucet, with quite the performance gain...

e