28 CK Centerboard Loading?

SFBaysailor

28 CK Centerboard Loading?

Post by SFBaysailor »

As I’m going through my deck hardware and replacing/rebedding items, I pulled off a disintegrating Shaffer cheek block that leads the centerboard lift off the rope clutch.

As I’m looking for replacements, I’m wondering if anyone has an idea of the loading on that line when the board is up? I’d like to replace the turning block that drops that line through the deck, as well.

seadago

Re: 28 CK Centerboard Loading?

Post by seadago »

The centerboard is about 1700 lb on my boat. The purchase on the centreboard is a 3-to-1. You can easily calculate the dynamic load with this info. 8-)
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

Just what I needed. Thank you!

tanton37

Post by tanton37 »

It is about the ONLY thing I don't LOVE about my boat. That CB is a real #$**& to raise so that I rarely lower it.
I have seriously considered moving the line to the aft end of the CB to reduce some of the very convuluted block arrangements on the forward edge. The line would "sing" with movement through the water but you get used to that.
Funny thing is....I have an old brochure for the F28CK....and it shows just that! But all the ones I've seen except for that example have them at the forward end of the table.
Had a friend with an F33CK modify his with a 12v ATV windlass and a nice cover....worked sweet

seadago

Post by seadago »

tanton37 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:16 pm
It is about the ONLY thing I don't LOVE about my boat. That CB is a real #$**& to raise so that I rarely lower it.
I have seriously considered moving the line to the aft end of the CB to reduce some of the very convuluted block arrangements on the forward edge. The line would "sing" with movement through the water but you get used to that.
Funny thing is....I have an old brochure for the F28CK....and it shows just that! But all the ones I've seen except for that example have them at the forward end of the table.
Had a friend with an F33CK modify his with a 12v ATV windlass and a nice cover....worked sweet
I hated the whole thing too when I bought Nausikaa. The concept of having the only winch on deck tied down with a line going to the CB was just nuts.
So I installed a 12 V winch on top of the CB casting. This is a standard vehicle cable winch sized to the dynamic load on the CB purchase line. My rigger made a SS bracket so the winch could be mounted sideways, and installed a up/down switch on the cockpit next to the other nav instruments. Works off the engine starter battery. so far, it has worked flawlessly. Also built a wood casing to hide the winch, but never installed. Does look a bit odd at one end of the cabin table, but prefer to have good viz of the line and drum coil, and aesthetics are secondary concern.
Rafa
Attachments
keel winch.jpg
keel winch.jpg (118.25 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop