Freedom 21 spinnaker sock/tube

iansan5653

Freedom 21 spinnaker sock/tube

Post by iansan5653 »

Hello, I'm new to the forum as I just purchased a Freedom 21 and have been working on getting her ready to sail for the last two months. The boat came with a spinnaker and pole and I've replaced all the running rigging, so I'm just about ready to fly the kite.

The only thing I'm missing is the spinnaker sock, which didn't come with the boat. For now I plan to just be careful taking it down, but I would like to get a sock eventually.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have a spare they're selling?

Assuming not, I think I can handle making my own. I found this old doc with the basic dimensions, which will be extremely helpful:
Chute Dimensions.pdf
(404.63 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
However, that drawing is pretty limited in information. Specifically I'd really like to get more info on the attachment points/fittings as well as the material (Dacron? what weight?). Any pictures of the ends of the sock would be greatly appreciated. How does it attach to the pulpit? How does it attach to the boat at the other end?

Thanks!
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

walterg

Re: Freedom 21 spinnaker sock/tube

Post by walterg »

Hi Ian, congratulations on your new Freedom and welcome to the forum!

One suggestion if you are not up to making your own sock would be a Chutescoop. I used one on both my previous boat (a trimaran with a large asymetrical spinnaker) and have one now on my Freedom 28. The price is very reasonable.

www.chutescoop.com
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Hi Ian,

the F21 is a great little boat. I’m sure you will enjoy it.

My spinnaker sock is made from a lightweight mesh material using strengthening tape along its length. I can take some pics when I am next at the boat. It attaches to the pullpit using a number of lengths of cord. If I remember 4 corners to the top and two down at the front.

I’m sure any decent sailmaker would know what material to use and be able to make one up.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

I’ve been trying to procure a spinnaker sleeve for my F32 sloop, without success. I’ve never seen one, nor specs, a detailed diagram or even clear photos. Haven’t been able to entice a sailmaker or canvas shop to make me one, as I can’t specify the design.
I suspect the design for an F32 might be quite similar to the one for the F21, but the bow pulpit configuration and material might be significantly different?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Hi F32Circle,

I think you can probably scale up the diagram uploaded by Wilf Bishop. Basically the mouth dimensions should match the opening in the pulpit as it ties just underneath that, the rest is just a tapered tube with the fat end blocked and a hole in the top that matches the pulpit. If you lay out your spinnaker and measure from the retrieve line to the clews/head, that will give you the approximate length of the tube. Sorry to both but I will not be down to the boat for a couple of weeks but will take some pictures then.

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

@waterg, thanks for the recommendation. The site linked doesn't seem to provide much info beyond the purchase link -- does the Chutescoop just work like a regular spinnaker sock?

@newt2u - I would love some pictures! Thank you so much. How does your sock attach at the aft end? Is it tied to the deck somehow?
Ian Sanders

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Hi Ian, there is a cord at the tail end that attaches to the base of one of the stanchions. The retrieval line exits here and is tied to the end of the halliard to make them continuous.

hkowalczyk

Post by hkowalczyk »

Here are some pictures. Whatever dacron is used is pretty much the same weight as the main. But you could just make it out of sumbrella.

I don't have a picture of the front but there is also a grommet on the bottom side of it to tie it down to the bottom to keep the hole open. Although I never tie that. you can kind of see it in the brochure pictures and the freedom video on youtube.
217121243IMAG0202.jpg
217121243IMAG0202.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 3102 times
1796415152IMAG0200.jpg
1796415152IMAG0200.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3102 times
60775917IMAG0206.jpg
60775917IMAG0206.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 3102 times

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Awesome, thank you so much for the pics! That will be a huge help.
Ian Sanders

hkowalczyk

Post by hkowalczyk »

Next time I'm at the boat I'll try to get some shots of the front of it so you can seen that end. looks like you've already found some of the information, but just in case, you can look up a lot on the old freedom21.info web site.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180831174 ... ginals.htm