F21 third (staysail) halyard

iansan5653

F21 third (staysail) halyard

Post by iansan5653 »

I've seen people casually mention setting up a way to fly the staysail and spinnaker on separate halyards on the F21, but I can't find any detailed info. If anyone here has done it, could you please explain how?

My staysail has a roller furler, so one thing I am considering is adding a block to the staysail head and running a spinnaker halyard through that, leaving the stailsail (furled) when the kite is flying.

Alternatively, I've considered adding a fixed eye to the mast for the staysail to be shackled to, but it would be cumbersome to have to take down the mast to take down the sail if I don't want to leave it up and furled.
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

newt2u

Re: F21 third (staysail) halyard

Post by newt2u »

Hi Ian,

My F21 has two halliards one for spin and one for jib. My jib however does not furl, I hank it onto the downhaul of the halliard. The jib is too small to want to furl anyway.

You don’t say how you hoist the jib now but from your first comment assume you hoist it on the spinnaker halliard.. there is no reason not to have a block on your fixed eye on the mast and an additional halliard to hoist the jib and furling arrangement. Then you could leave it up and furled with the spinnaker.

The only issue you have and I have this with my arrangement is halliard stretch but this can be minimised using a good quality dynema line. I use a 5mm braided dynema halliard which works well.
C0D337CA-372D-4CD9-8E32-BAE1DC25F89E.jpeg
C0D337CA-372D-4CD9-8E32-BAE1DC25F89E.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 1277 times
You can see the halliard in this pic, it runs through a block attached to a fixed eye on the mast. You can also see the sail hanked to the downhaul. You presumably would not need to do that.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Thanks, I think that makes sense. How did you attach the new eye to the mast? Just some self tapping screws?
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

It was there when I bought the boat. However, it is held on by pop rivets made of aluminium. Drill, measure the mast thickness and make sure the rivet is the right length, i.e. deeper than the hole, so it expands on the inside of the mast. This is much stronger than st screws.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK