F21 running rigging beginner questions

iansan5653

F21 running rigging beginner questions

Post by iansan5653 »

Hello all, sorry to be spamming this board with Freedom 21 questions but I took mine sailing for the first time this week. It was a beautiful day and a great time!

However, while singlehanding I ran into a couple of things that seem like they would be easy to resolve if I just had someone else's boat to look at. Unfortunately I don't so I have to ask here. I'll try and put all of my basic questions into this post.

First, the staysail. Mine came with a furler but I've found out I'm really not a fan of it so I think I'll just be flying it with a halyard and a downhaul to keep it from hitting the water on the way down. If you have your staysail rigged so that you don't have to go forward to take it down, can you give me some details on how you've done that? My instinct is to rig a long line from the top of the sail to a stanchion base and back to the cockpit, but I'm interested in what others have done.

For the staysail sheets, how are yours run through/around/over the lifelines? I had mine entirely inside the lifelines but it seemed like maybe outside was better. But then I'm not sure how the windward sheet would chafe. Also, how long are your sheets? I don't have any so I stole my spinnaker pole lines, but I'd like to be able to rig up both in the future.

Moving back to the mainsail: How does your vang line run back to the cockpit? If I just toss it over the traveler and into the companionway it's in reach on one tack, but hard to get to and pull on the other tack as the traveler car pulls it out of the way:
PXL_20210603_224825806.MP.jpg
PXL_20210603_224825806.MP.jpg (201.93 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
This is a really small thing, but what are those cleats on the deck next to the companionway used for? You can see the starboard one in the picture above. The only thing I've ever done with them is use them to tie the boom down for storage.

And last but not least, how are your reef lines rigged? I have the rigging manual so I understand how they run on the deck and to the base of the mast. From there, I have mine running up one side of the sail, through the reef tack grommet, down the other side of the sail, through the mast, through the sheave at the end of the mast, through the reef clew grommet, and back to the end of the boom on the other side of the sail.

This kind of works, but as you can see in the below pictures it has some problems. First is friction, though I feel this could be helped by using blocks hooked to the grommets instead of running directly through the grommets. More importantly is that having the aft line run diagonally makes it pretty much impossible for the reef to be tensioned all the way, and it puts tension at really awkward spots on the sail. It's just pulling the sail in the wrong direction. What I've heard is, instead of going back to the end of the boom, I should go vertically down to the boom and loop around it. But my sail is continuous on the boom, so there is no way to tie something around it.
PXL_20210603_224220751.MP.jpg
PXL_20210603_224220751.MP.jpg (240.31 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
PXL_20210603_224622889.MP.jpg
PXL_20210603_224622889.MP.jpg (236.4 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help! I really appreciate it.
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

iansan5653

Re: F21 running rigging beginner questions

Post by iansan5653 »

Looks like I'm limited to three photos per post, so here's one more nice sunset picture for fun (ignore my disastrous cockpit mess and the staysail in the bow please :D ).
PXL_20210603_232159415.MP.jpg
PXL_20210603_232159415.MP.jpg (293.87 KiB) Viewed 2540 times
Ian Sanders

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

For the aft reefing line, I'd suggest putting a nice strong padeye on your boom, just below where the grommet is in your picture. If you can reach inside the boom that far, it would be fairly easy to add a backing plate for it, which would be a good idea. Once installed, you can terminate your reef line on the padeye, which will pull the sail down as well as aft.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Your battens should be flush with the edge of the sail. They're either too long or not in the sail track cars correctly. In your last photo, the car is bent at an angle to the batten, so I suspect that they're not in far enough.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

hkowalczyk

Post by hkowalczyk »

My main sail has a strap with a block at each reefing tack. One on each side of the sail so that each of the reef lines stays on one side. I'll take a picture next time I'm out on the boat.

I think the cleats are for the staysail since it doesn't have the traditional jib/genoa blocks on the rail.

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Hi Ian, my main has grommets and the reef lines have hooks and blocks. It makes reefing much easier. Also the boom has padeyes on either side of it below the leach grommets. The line goes from the padeye up through the sail and back to the boom end giving down as well as outhaul on the grommet. See two photos below.

I don’t bother taking the vang back to the cockpit. I set it and leave it, as with a traveller it is not really necessary. You can get the same effect with the main sheet, which has more purchase anyway. On a dinghy with a fixed main sheet, you need one, but typically they are 8 to 1 purchase or more. So really the vang is just for off wind sailing, where you only need it to prevent the boom rising rather than shaping the sail.
Attachments
1CF4D09B-374A-4E73-AA16-C370985632F9.jpeg
1CF4D09B-374A-4E73-AA16-C370985632F9.jpeg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2495 times
20B8F3E6-6B53-4427-BEC9-421F706A3987.jpeg
20B8F3E6-6B53-4427-BEC9-421F706A3987.jpeg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 2495 times
Last edited by newt2u on Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

Lionel7

Post by Lionel7 »

On someone’s point that the battens should be flush with the edge of the sail I don’t believe that is correct. Possibly those are not to the original design and the sailmaker simplified the design. I have owned two F21’s both with what I believe to be original mains. Both had the batons protrude past the edge of the sail with Velcro straps to lock them in place and very small diameter line on each baton to tension the batons to adjust sail shape.

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

That is correct Lionel, class rules say they must not project more than 2 inches beyond the leach.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Thanks for the notes on the battens - I definitely did notice the bottom one is out of the bracket and the others could use some adjusting but they feel close to correct. I think if I made them perfectly flush the main would have a hard time flipping in light wind. This sail has an extra batten at the top compared to the class specs so I think it may not be exactly correct anyway.

That's helpful advice for the vang - in that case I'll probably cut that line much shorter because it's about 20' longer than it needs to be right now. Would you say the same about the outhaul as far as not adjusting it much on the water?

I'll have to look into getting some reefing blocks and adding some padeyes to the boom.

Thanks all for the input and pics!
Ian Sanders

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I have a 40/40, so I have no direct knowledge of 20s, but I can't imagine why you would ever want the battens to project beyond the leach of the sail. Nothing good can come from disrupting the airflow there, and in the case of the 40/40, the batten can catch on the lazy-jacks when raising the sail. Plus, it looks weird... :D

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org