F33 Cat-Ketch Mizzen Staysail

DaveyBones

F33 Cat-Ketch Mizzen Staysail

Post by DaveyBones »

Looking for information on where the mizzen staysail is sheeted to. Mizzen Boom, through a block on the toe rail?

SV_Pyari

Re: F33 Cat-Ketch Mizzen Staysail

Post by SV_Pyari »

Correct. On my F30 UK the mizzen staysail is sheeted to a block on the boom, then to a block on the end of the toe rail and fixated at the winch on eather side.
Attachments
Mizzen sheeting.jpg
Mizzen sheeting.jpg (114.05 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Manuel

SV Pyari - F30 CK, centerboard, wishbones
Built in UK by Fairways Marine. Hull #110

Castaway

Re: F33 Cat-Ketch Mizzen Staysail

Post by Castaway »

Castaway came with three staysails, one large, spinnaker-like cruising chute, of which the tack goes to the weather toe rail by the main mast and the sheet to a block on the mizzen boom, as shown in Manuel's picture. The middle one we never use (christened the "sh*ts'l" by my daughter), and a blade stays'l, perhaps intended as a storm sail, which is tacked down to a pad-eye on the coach roof whilst the sheet goes to a block on the toe rail just aft of the sprayhood. It works well heading up with the apparent wind at around 50-80º, but can't be used except on long boards because it has to be handed before tacking. I only have one picture showing it set, taken on an unexpected sunny day off the West coast of Norway.

We have a couple of snatch blocks for the staysail sheets, so that they can easily be repositioned, and so that the sheet doesn't have to be trheaded through from the end. This saves me from dropping it, then having to wrestle with the sail whilst the sheet trails along in the sea, seeking out the self steering gear.

Regards,

Gerald
Attachments
Blade staysail with wire luff.
Blade staysail with wire luff.
blade staysl.jpg (44.64 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland