F35 (Pedrick) Outhaul

SteveMamaroneck

F35 (Pedrick) Outhaul

Post by SteveMamaroneck »

Has anyone come up with alternative rigging for the outhaul on the F35 (or other modelss for that matter). Many cruisers have the outhaul line that runs back to the cockpit for easier control, especially while in heavier weather where flattening the main sheet would be helpful.

The F35 has a large mainsheet and I am exploring ideas to make easing or tightening the outhaul more efficient as it comes standard with a cleat on the underside of the boom to use for adjusting. Any thoughts would be helpful as always.

Best,

Steve
1994 F35 owner
Steve and Angela
Shooting Star F 35 (P)
1994 Wing Keel 4.5’
3GM30F
Mamaroneck, NY

bobr

Re: F35 (Pedrick) Outhaul

Post by bobr »

Steve,

I lead mine through a block installed at the base of the mast and back to the clutches and power winch on the starboard side of coach roof. I might have a picture somewhere, I'll look.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

newt2u

Re: F35 (Pedrick) Outhaul

Post by newt2u »

Steve, although on my Merlin Rocket dinghy I have done what Bob suggests and it works just fine, on my F21 I have left it on the boom. My reasons are partly because I already have too much rope in the cockpit (7 clutches each side + 1 jamming cleat for the main sheet) but mainly I don't consider there is a need. It has a fixed foot and so I just tension until that is tight, so there is not much else you can do, then if start to get overpowered you can use the main sheet to flatten the main or you can reef and regain control of outhaul again through the reef line. On the MR I have a loose foot and no reefing options, so it is useful.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK