Freedom 40/40 boom vang adjustment (?)

Bjcmaine

Freedom 40/40 boom vang adjustment (?)

Post by Bjcmaine »

Greetings!

I am a new owner of a 40/40 and am having a refit done.
One thing I do not like about the setup is how low the boom is when raising and lowering the sail. It's so big and heavy and swinging around low seems like a safety hazard to me. Is there a way to set it so it doesn't go that low?

Regards,
Bruce Cramer
'95 40/40 Hull #11 - Star Struck
-Bruce Cramer
1995 Freedom 40/40
Hull #11 - Star Struck

bobr

Re: Freedom 40/40 boom vang adjustment (?)

Post by bobr »

Bruce, I'm late to the party but for what it is worth....

I have a 35 with a rigid vang. I use the main halyard as a topping lift when the sail is not raised. The end of the boom can be tied off to a rail to reduce swinging if motoring without the sail up. But I find that with the vang slacked the boom does stay just above my head even without the halyard attached. Maybe your vang is tired (spring worn out), or perhaps your main is too heavy to keep the boom at the desired height.

That's not a lot of help, but maybe this bump will get you some responses.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

We have a 40/40 and we have lazy jacks which help support the boom. However when there is wave action and the main isn’t full daises yet the bending of the mast as we go over waves can cause the boom to swing quite low.

When the main is up, no problem. When dropped and we are motoring we generally tie off on one side to the toe rail and then tension with main sheet. Not perfect but generally ok. But when raising and lowering when in waves there doesn’t seem to be a good solution.
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

There's no doubt that it can be challenging to raise the main when headed into seas. The vast majority of the time there are 2 of us on board and when we have conditions like this, Sue will raise the main while I will stand at the wheel, reach up and grab the boom (I'm 6'3") to steady it and make sure that the batton ends clear the lazy jacks. Also, slow down as much as you can to maintain steerage and reduce the pounding.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

jlodolce

Post by jlodolce »

Bruce,

I have 40/40 #16, season #14 for us. I had the same problem when I first took ownership, but eventually figured it out. Before dropping the main, have one person push the clew end of the boom up as far as you can (using a boat hook or a broomstick helps) while standing in the cockpit, while another person tightens and secures the lazy jacks to the boom up on the deck. Once the lazy jacks are tied, pull in the main sheet using the power windlass until the lazy jacks are taught.

Drop the main slowly, paying out the main halyard while tightening the reef lines. Stop lowering the main when each of the 1st and 2nd reef grommets get to the boom and firmly tighten the respective reef line to keep the sail from spilling over the boom. This can be done by one person alone, but is easier with 2. This allows the main to be neatly flaked on the boom without it spilling over the sides and makes it easily to raise the main if you want to start with 1 or 2 reefs in the next time you sail. This also allows you to fully raise the sail along the mast without a wrinkle at the bottom.

If you try to raise the sail with the boom low, especially if the vang and/or main sheet are tight (holding the boom down), you will not be able to get the main luff tight against the mast (a wrinkle will remain along the mast just above the tack), because the main sheet will be fighting to raise the clew end of the boom. Always give full slack to both the vang and main halyard before trying to raise the main that final few feet. When raising the main, the clew end of the boom needs to ride high and free when you get to that final 1-2 feet. I you don't the halyard may snap (I learned the hard way).

Using this methodology, I have no problem with the boom clearing the dodger and Bimini, except when sailing in a stiff wind, when I have to pull the boom down with the main sheet and vang. That does not come into play too often, because I like sailing with all my canvas down. See the attached photos.

Jim
Attachments
Copy of IMG_5275.JPG
Copy of IMG_5275.JPG (99.9 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Copy of IMG_1950 resized.JPG
Copy of IMG_1950 resized.JPG (101.79 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
2020-06-02_1159 jpg.jpg
2020-06-02_1159 jpg.jpg (10.54 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Jim Lo Dolce
Lo Dolce Vita VII
Freedom 40/40 #16 1995
Sackets Harbor, NY (Lake Ontario)