Mast split

Bkl366

Mast split

Post by Bkl366 »

I have a 1987 Freedom 36 with the TPI carbon fiber mast. My son went up the mast to get a halyard and found a vertical crack is about 2’ long. It is 2” wide at the top and tapers. I have attached a photo of the crack. Has anyone else had an experience like this and what are ideas to repair it. Thanks for any help you van give.
Attachments
EEE5648D-EE17-4E7B-81BD-E281CF04485B.jpeg
EEE5648D-EE17-4E7B-81BD-E281CF04485B.jpeg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 3181 times

mike cunningham

Re: Mast split

Post by mike cunningham »

No experience with something like this but looks like it ought to be repairable given the location. It is going to be a process though. Mast out, disassemble head, evaluate, repair, paint, etc.

Kyntana, an F38 on here had a new mast head/crane built where her mast was down. It is a thing of beauty.

Now's your chance - never let a crisis go to waste.

I wonder what led to this? Any idea?

I have my binoculars out as I speak.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

I agree it should be repairable. I had a drone fly mine a few weeks ago and found a small gouge. Looked like the block caused it. I will be renting a man lift next spring and repair.

There was an article either on here or google, sorry don't remember, that a individual pulled their spar, sanded it down completely, then fiber glassed the entire thing. I agree with Mike that there really isn't an easy fix and pulling the spar is most likely in your game plan.

Any chance you could have gotten moisture trapped up there and it froze - expanded? Also looks like, towards the top, a bolt hole or something with the split running right down the middle.

Good luck with it and don't get discouraged.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

mike cunningham

Freeze, then thaw, that definitely sounds like a possibility.

Leave it to a guy from alaska
Mike Cunningham

Sailing-61-North

Saw that first hand with moisture behind a building with hanging veneer. I guess I should have driven my beater into work that day and parked it there... :P
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

This is not the first time this issue has appeared and been discussed on the site.

See: https://freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php ... ane#p49451

Corrosion of the masthead fitting apparently is envolved.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Water freezing or corrosion it's clearly related to the masthead unit. You can see that the taper occurs just below the base of the masthead unit. It is visible in the crack, so clearly implicated in the forces involved.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

I was emailing with Paul Dennis of Warren River Boatworks when I saw your post, and I passed it along to get his take. Paul was the production manager at Freedom for many years, and he's seen (and likely repaired) just about every type of issue that these boats can have. He gave me permission to post his reply, though wanted me to make it clear that this is just his opinion, and he cannot make a proper assessment without seeing the mast in person.
I have seen something like this but not as bad. The aluminum pipe portion of the old style masthead is corroded and expands to create enough force to split the composite mast.
With mast out I would get rid of the old mast head and insert a new tube inside made of GRP and epoxied in place. Try to close the split around the new insert with super duty hose clamps or similar. Then prep the top 2 feet around the outside of the mast and wrap layers of heavy fiberglass cloth tape saturated with epoxy. Fair and paint.
I would install the newer style Freedom masthead in the mast which is much easier to remove and service as necessary and will not cause a problem like this again.
He has a few of the new style mastheads in his shop, by the way.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Sailing-61-North

Sounds like a game plan is available. Unfortunately its not an easy fix but at least something can be done. Good to know there is a replacement for the mastheads.

I think mine is just a "wear" issue but will not know until I get up there.

Good Luck.
Attachments
Mast Head Damage.jpg
Mast Head Damage.jpg (557.33 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37

mike cunningham

Artic Term. Is that the original masthead crane? Looks like you have at least one halyard up there, is that correct?

I would really like to be able to rig a spare halyard if it ever became necessary. The flag halyard fitting on my boat is light duty only.
Mike Cunningham