Easylock lever replacement

BillyMac

Easylock lever replacement

Post by BillyMac »

So, I did a thing, bought a 1982 F25, Wing mast, in nice condition. New-ish main, diesel. I'm pretty happy and will have more questions soon.

It looks like one can source replacement levers for the Easylock rope clutches, just pop the retaining clips and easy peesie. Except they are two two-lever assemblies, side by each, and one needs to remove the retaining clips in between the two assemblies. Four times, without losing a clip.

Questions include: What tools? Should I replace every clip that I mess with or just the ones that get away? Sage advice?

Thanks!
ClutchSituation.JPG
ClutchSituation.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 1140 times
1982 Freedom 25 Wing
Harbor Springs, MI

Pearce

Re: Easylock lever replacement

Post by Pearce »

Congratulations on your new boat !

For e- clips I use needle nose pliers and a rag as a catcher. One arm of the piers against the open end of the clip and the other on the shaft. Pop the clip and with the rag loosely around the fitting to catch the clip once it comes off. Some people like a flat screwdriver as a wedge.

If they are in good shape, fit right and are without corrosion then no need to replace. Depends on your level of boat part failure paranoia.

Here is a quick youtube video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QLcKsSZrusM
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Congratulations on your purchase! I have an F21 and love it but often wish I had the 25 instead. It looks like a perfect size.

The F21 has the same layout. I'd pop the center clips - they'll be caught by the space between the clutches. Then you can push them out of the gap with a screwdriver or some other long thin tool.

Side note - if anyone has a spare used double EasyLock clutch I really need one and would love to buy it (they are very overpriced from RigRite).
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

BillyMac

Post by BillyMac »

Followup: I pulled the inner clutches, swapped the levers and reinstalled with fresh silicone. Pictures under the "pictures" section of this wonderful forum.
1982 Freedom 25 Wing
Harbor Springs, MI