the most lost bit on a Freedom

mike cunningham

the most lost bit on a Freedom

Post by mike cunningham »

Ok, we Have camberspar/forestay retaining clips on the bottoms of most bays, lakes, rivers and coastal areas of the USA (probably a few on bottoms in Europe too). This is the most easily loose able item on the boat unless you remove the spar at a boatyard and even then...

So I saw this post a while back

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13462&p=54791&hilit ... par#p54791

which is a great drawing of fore and aft sections of the camberspar. The drawing depicts a "alternate front end fitting" for sails which are removed frequently. This replaces the clip we have all lost once or twice with extended tangs with a "fast pin" to contain the fore stay. While this would require welding new, longer, tangs on the sheave retainer, it would vastly simplify sail removal. Since I have the spar off the boat I am going to proceed with this mod and have the sheave replaced while I am at it.

I have wondered for a long time if there was a better/faster way to attach the spar to the stay and such a solution has been there all along.

Thanks to SunnyIsleMark for posting it.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

mike cunningham

Re: the most lost bit on a Freedom

Post by mike cunningham »

BTW, if you do not make any mods, the standard retaining clip can be purchased from Paul D as others have pointed our. Failing that, they are available on e-bay (somewhat surprisingly) although not particularly cheap with shipping added.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ca ... eName=GSTL.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

Belanich

Re: the most lost bit on a Freedom

Post by Belanich »

Hi Mike,
An easier way to attach the camberspar retain is with a short threaded rod instead of a bolt. With a bolt you have to hold everything in place and try to run the bolt through the two washers, the sail grommets the retainer and the camberspar all at once and then try to screw on the bolt!!! Instead I run the threaded rod through the retainer and camberspar first then I can slide the the bolt to one side and slip it through the grommet, washer and add a nut then I do the same for the other side. This make it much easier and less likely that the retainer ends up at the bottom of the harbor.
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto F38 #65