Rigging sails and single line reefing on a F45cc

Dcroft61

Rigging sails and single line reefing on a F45cc

Post by Dcroft61 »

Happy Holidays sailors and Freedom owners.
I need someones help, I know you're out there.
I'm the new owner of a 1989 Freedom 45cc. The thing is she's been completely de-rigged for storage. I don't have the luxury of having the owner here to help and I'm trying to figure it out on my own.
Questions are,
1, how do the single line reefing lines run to and from the sails? Mine has three
2, the aft fitting for the camber spar is off, what is the orientation of that piece. It's supposed to be pop riveted to the camber spar right?
How does it turn if it's fixed to the spar?
3, I have a line hanging down the mast that appears to only hold the camber spar up?
4, has anyone installed B&G electronics on their Freedoms? I'm about half way through the installation.
I bought the boat on the hard in Grenada, she's in great shape but needs some TLC after being in storage for a number of years. She does float and NO LEAKS, all the equipment has come back to life. I just need to get the sails sorted out.
I will need a new Main in a few years, any suggestions??

Wishing all a very merry Christmas and a great new year.

Don
Don,
S/V Shasta, 1989 F45cc

Pearce

Re: Rigging sails and single line reefing on a F45cc

Post by Pearce »

Don,

Congratulations on your new boat. Others have recently asked some of the exact same questions. So here are some relevant links. This site’s keyword search is very good.

1) Here is a recent chain on reefing:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13531

2) The longer end of the camberspar end fitting points down and connects to the jib sheet block. Here is a recent chain on Camberspars:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8583

3) The fixed line hanging down is the camberspar topping lift. It keeps the jib off the deck when doused. Note some prefer the camberspar to be bowed up and others down when doused.

4) Do not know much about B&G. But the folks at the Chasing Currents youtube channel have posted a few vids:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RLdf2abKreA
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

Dcroft61

Post by Dcroft61 »

Hi Pat thank you!
This will be helpful as I get the main back on. It's out for some repair at the moment. I bought the boat here in Grenada on the hard. It had most of the running rigging stowed and I had no idea how it went back together. I had the rigging guys stop over and one said" it's going to cost about 10k to put new standing rigging on this boat" I said " no it wont" I said do you see any chain plates? Freedoms don't have standing rigging. They weren't familiar with the free standing mast concept. It does get a lot of attention.There is actually one other Freedom here in the yard but that one has everything disassembled too.
Anyway, Thanks again and happy new year!!

Don
Don,
S/V Shasta, 1989 F45cc

SunnyIsleMark

Post by SunnyIsleMark »

Hi Don- just a note that your main may have 3 sets of reef points but most people only rig up 2 of them at a time, depending on local or expected conditions. It’s not too hard to change prior to a passage if you allow for the correct line length from the beginning.
Also, the trend is to use dyneema for the aft part of the reef line for lower friction and thinner line, while keeping the forward section more traditional line to use going to the winch.
As for the camber spar, mine is step adjustable in length to allow for proper camber pocket tension. The spar rotates as a function of the long arm position, such that as the sail is more inboard (upwind), the sail will be flatter, and as it is let out to go downwind it becomes fuller. The topping lift is useful to keep the spar off the deck but can also be used to hold the clew up in very light air.
Good luck and enjoy! I had lots of fun sailing in the Grenadines!
Mark

Dcroft61

Post by Dcroft61 »

Hi Mark,
Thanks so much for the reply, This is very helpful. So most owners only use the two reefs, I think I only have reefing lines for two so that makes sense.
She's coming together, although I just found a tear in the main sail. Any advise on replacements?

Thanks,
Don
Don,
S/V Shasta, 1989 F45cc