To paint or not to paint

newt2u

To paint or not to paint

Post by newt2u »

Masts seem to be a hot topic here, with the recent de-mast posts. This got me thinking about how best to protect my F21 mast. I notice a lot of larger Freedoms have their masts painted, although I have yet to see any of the smaller F21s' with masts painted. I understand that epoxy and other resins are not UV stable and see the results of this with the regular polishing required of the oxidisation on my hull. However the gelcoat is thick so I am not sure how much of an issue this is. The mast on my F21 is dull with oxidisation and also has quite a few gel-coat cracks around its circumference. The question is, should I paint it or leave it and is it really a big issue? If to is, what paint do people use. Rockin is currently in my drive with the mast down and will go back in the water in April and the mast will remain stepped for a while, so I would like to get some feedback on other people's take on this.

Thanks,

Chris
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

walterg

Re: To paint or not to paint

Post by walterg »

I painted the mast on my M28 two years ago, for UV protection and appearance. I intended to use Interlux Perfection, a 2-part LPU coating, having had good results with it before. However the Interlux technical rep felt that it would be too brittle for a mast that would flex and recommended the 1-part Brightsides instead, so that's what I went with. I set the mast on rollers and sanded it down, did some light epoxy repairs and fairing, 2 coats of Precoat primer, and then applied the Brightsides by roll-and-tip. Came out well and really picked up the appearance of the boat.

Attachments
Mast repaint.jpg
Mast repaint.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1971 times
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Walter,

That certainly looks good. Did you remove any fittings or just mask up? I have been reading around and most posts I have seen recommend 2 part PU, contrary to what your rep advised, even on dinghy masts with significant flex.

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

P.s. rollers are a great idea.

walterg

Post by walterg »

Hi Chris,

All of the fittings on my mast looked sound so I just left them all in place and masked everything off, including the original stickers from the factory.

I think you are correct about the suitability of a LPU finish, that's likely a better way to go. Perhaps the Interlux rep thought the mast flexes more than it really does.

Walter
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

The Tillotson Pearson mast on my F35 is still smooth, white and shiny after about 30 years use, but the black mast on my F21 looks terrible, with circumferential cracks from deck level up, and now matt finish throughout. It's had a lot of time in the sun, but not a lot of hard sailing.

There's been quite few posts in the past about mast refinishing, with some folk using full length woven 'socks' covered with epoxy, before painting. It is an enormous effort. A friend, locally, has painted his black after sanding lightly; I don't know what he used, but I think it was Awlgrip. His masts are still smooth and shiny after several years. I expect the masts on the F35s flex less than on the F21.

I was thinking to re-paint my F21 mast this spring's I'll follow this thread with interest. I certainly will make a roller jig for the work. The fittings will have to come off my mast, since several have already lost the rivets, which I shall replace with Monel ones, not stainless.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Hi Gerald,

Have enjoyed your posts re F35 but didn't know you had an F21. Do you get to sail it much? I must admit I find it great fun to sail, although not much room for much more than day sailing. Am currently looking at acquiring an F30 CK, a bit of a project, for going further afield. Currently moving my marina location from Milford Haven to Whitehaven, so lots to explore north of there.

Anyway about the mast, I have been reading both this forum and some other sites re mast care. Recommended care by Gary Hoyt was no more than a regular waxing, although I must admit I have done nothing with mine. It was built in 83 but spent almost 2 decades laid up with its mast in a sail club loft. Mine too has lots of radial cracks in the gel (mud) coat but I am not so worried about that.

When I think about the oxidisation on my hull, which was very bad after its layup in a boat yard, that polished out just fine and without too much aggressive polishing, just some Farecla and not too much effort, which leads me to believe that the oxidisation is self limiting. If this is just a few microns on the surface that is affected, it seems refinishing may be overkill. Certainly not considering anything as extreme as socking it. So at the moment, I am coming to the conclusion to leave it as is and give it a good waxing, maybe after a quick polish. My concern was more stability than aesthetics.

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Update... had another close inspection of my mast this morning now the weather is improving. My mast was also made by Tillotson Pearson. From a couple of tiny chips I can see the gelcoat is about 1mm thick the cracks are definitely in only this layer. From its colour I would say that below the gelcoat is what looks like aramid/kevlar, although I guess it could be glass fibre with the resin contributing to colour.

The section below decks also has the circumferential cracks, although it has more gloss to the gelcoat.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

My F21, Skeba, has had very little use in the 17 years I have owned it. We took it to Spain, by road, but found berthing too expensive for the limited cruising we were able to do there. Quite frankly, sailing in the Mediterranean is vastly over-rated in our experience, and we have done half the coast of Spain and some cruising in France and in Turkey.

I am slowly working on refurbishing Skeba, before either selling it, or doing some day sailing locally, which has some attractions in a shallow draught boat. I've polished the deck & coachroof, as well as repainted the hull, which needed some filling of scratches. The mast is next, as soon as I can get some working space in the marina shed.

If I do sell it, I suspect a new trailer will be required, since the >30 year old original has not done too well in our salty climate. Probably cost more than any price from a sale! The CF mast is perhaps the really valuable part, so maybe selling that is the most economical option.

I do agree that the F21 is fun to sail, and easy, too. My wife jumped aboard at one end of the harbour, and sailed her back to our marina and right into the berth on the first occasion she had taken Skeba's helm. (She is quite an experienced sailor, though!).
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Yes, my trailer cost more than the boat, which I picked up for just £1000, I think the trailer was around £2400. Rockin had been languishing in a boat yard for nearly 20 years and was in a sad state.
1FBEFDC5-E31A-4DEC-9BEA-46D97C0078D8.jpeg
1FBEFDC5-E31A-4DEC-9BEA-46D97C0078D8.jpeg (101.95 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
However, getting the boat home and then onto the marina after the refit/spruce up would have cost more on a flatbed. Also when you compare the cost to marina fees it does not seem that bad, especially since I have wintered Rockin several winters on my drive on the trailer saving quite a bit.

Does Skeba have the twin drop keels or the tandem keel? I ask because I might sell the trailer after I move Rockin to Whitehaven, which is 4-5 hours from home... so I will do an annual contrct and leave it there.