mast wedge help

GeoffSchultz

Re: mast wedge help

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Our mast comes out every few years. Make sure that you provide registration marks on the mast and the ring.

I've poured Spartite 2x times. I had no problems keeping the mast upright with wedges. It sets up pretty quickly. Making a leakproof dam is a challenge!

For the person who wants this to stop the creaking, you're barking up the wrong tree. You need to secure the mast at the base "pie-pan" so that it doesn't move. Coat the inside of the mast with release agent and the coat the piepan with fiberglass and fit it inside the mast. You need to control the mast shifting.

- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Yes we looked at that as well. But with three very experienced boat repair folks and a naval architect on board with a stethoscope, all sound was definitely coming from the partners and not the base.
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

adam

Post by adam »

mast wedges have been used on sailing ships for hundreds if not thousands of years . they have always been tapered so that as they wore out they could be driven deeper, same drill with the polyurethane collar wedges on your freedom. They are tapered for a reason. Simply slide the mast collar up the mast and the wedge will be exposed and then you can drive it hard against the mast. That being said polyurethane hardens over time and as some of the wedges on freedoms are either at or near the need of their shelf life and warrant replacement . All of the above can be accomplished with the mast in situ. Adam p.s. any one with the specs a chunk of polyurethane can wack out a new collar in 10 min.

adam

Post by adam »

sorry, with a water jet

adam

Post by adam »

spartite is only a temporary fix will eventually wear out and require the mast to be removed for a re do where as the wedges can be progressively ajusted in situ

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

adam wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:48 pm
spartite is only a temporary fix will eventually wear out and require the mast to be removed for a re do where as the wedges can be progressively ajusted in situ
Says who? I've had it on my boat for 20+ years. If exposed to UV, I might agree. But otherwise, no.
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

adam

Post by adam »

"What ever you do don't use Spartite unless you never want the mast to come out again. I've seen the riggers at Hamble Yacht Services take two days to free a mast glued in with this stuff. They ended up having to drill it out, made a right mess of the mast too.

At one point in the operation the boat was being lifted via the mast and it still didn't break free. "

in order to use spartite correctly requires that an releasing agent be properly applied to both the the mast and the mast partner, a cofferdam built under the mast to stem the pour and the mast be absolutely centered before the pour. The original polyurethane wedge has lasted 30 years and doesn't require any of the above. All it takes is to remove the old wedge , buy a chunk of polyurethane , take it to a shop that has water jet/ cnc cabability reproduce the original and drive it home. Adam

adam

Post by adam »

some of the freedoms had the bottoms of the mast glued to the "tophat"/base and some did not evidently this was a factory option, if the mast wasn't glued to the base the joint develops wear starts to work and is the cause of that awful sound, Fortunately there is a very simple, inexpensive and long term solution . Using the hole in the base of the mast where the wires exit the mast and using a small rubber tube and funnel simply run unthickend epoxy onto the top of the top hat to the extent that it fills the gap between the mast and base, this was done to vaimana and lasted for 20 years with 0 movement solid as a rock , No releasing agent was used and when it finally became necessary to remove the mast it popped right off the top hat with very little persuasion. p.s. when you do the pour you will have to take some care it doesn't run out at the outside of the joint

adam

Post by adam »

numbknots wrote:
I used spartite 3yrs ago and although using vaseline I can no longer remove masts. Cutting it loose with hacksaw was beyond my patience threshold. One man on deck and another below pulling while the other is pushing a hacksaw blade back and forth. (with head and sholders squeezed into the anchor locker) I think a new owner can deal with that one. Use vaseline liberaly and if you can fined someting better use that. I lifted the front end of my boat out of the water without the mast budging. Thats what I know about spartite. Numbknots

Been there, seen that, done that! This is my 3rd Spartite'ish job. The first one ended as Numbknots's did. The second one was due to the yard cutting the ring off when they were painting the mast. Now I'm re-doing it to repair that mistake.

-- Geoff

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

Sounds like Spartite can make a pretty terrible mess if it's not applied properly! Sorry to hear about your problems with it, Geoff.

On my boat, it's been a complete success. No movement, no leaks, and no issues unstepping the mast. I honestly don't really think about it.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA