Windvanes

strathcarron

Windvanes

Post by strathcarron »

George asked for a note on the windvane fitted to my F40 CC. Actually because of the design with the aft cabin and poop deck this particular type of windvane - a Hydrovane - chose me as it is (I think) the only one with direct self contained steering and therefore no strings and pulleys having to find their way back to the cockpit. It works very well, and I have found it to be happiest on the medium settings where it can just steer you along without complaint until the wind shifts and then you can adjust it from the cockpit with a simple line directly to the turning mechanism. The only disadvantage is it is expensive, more so than the others. The aftersales service is very good too.

I have fitted a bracket to hold my old tiller pilot which connects to the emergency arm of the Hydrovane and steers us along when there is no or too little wind, normally when motoring. It uses hardly any juice - the only snag being you have to clamber up on to the poop deck to adjust it so it is not too practical for inshore pilotage. I'm told you can now buy them with zapper which would solve the problem.

The same company, Hydrovane, also make watermakers under the Echo2 brand, and I have fitted one of these, again with much satisfaction. They work directly off the engine, and are simple, productive and strong.

Strathcarron
s/y Vasco da Gama
in transit, Malta
http://www.strathcarrons-ahoy.com

Michel

Re: Windvanes

Post by Michel »

Hello Ian,

I'm curious how you installed the Hydrovane with your boomkin and overhanging mizzen wishbone and all that. Aren't you afraid that a gybe will wrap the mizzen sheet around the vane and tear it off?

I'm contemplating the Hydrovane for on my F44 with overhanging stern rail and wishbone. Perhaps you could post some photo's sometime.
Last edited by Michel on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

THATBOATGUY

Re: Windvanes

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Some pictures

It was a picture and a testimonial on the wind vane manufactures site that led me to Ian.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage