F38 sailing Photo

philipl

F38 sailing Photo

Post by philipl »

Trinity F38 sailing north from Boston on June 19th, 2011 in 15+ knots of wind close hauled at 6 knots with one reef in the main. A lovely sail!
Attachments
Trinity F38 June 19th 2011.JPG
Trinity F38 June 19th 2011.JPG (237.08 KiB) Viewed 13102 times
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

peaceandfreedom

Re: F38 sailing Photo

Post by peaceandfreedom »

nice picture, looks like you could use some more tension on the leech line while the sail is reefed.

Jim D

philipl

Post by philipl »

I know the reef was a little messy. I was short handed and having too much fun at the helm! I tore past the smaller Tarten and the Bristol whose captain took the photo. It's great when someone else takes your photo underway.
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

Mike Holibar

Post by Mike Holibar »

Beautiful picture Philip. That's what it's all about! Thanks,
Mike Holibar
S/V Fyne Spirit of Plymouth (Freedom 39PHS-1989)
Lyttelton
New Zealand

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Beautiful shot. Thought I was looking at our F38. Would share picture - but can't figure out how to post picture here
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Very nice!

Looks like your canvas was professionally done as well... ;)

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

brico

Post by brico »

Philip,

really nice photo. is your boat originally dark blue colour? I noted there are two lines coming down from your mast head? The lose one seem to be some sort of halyard? What is that and do you have double sheave at the mast head? The other one seem to be a smaller one, tighter and leading to the end of the boom like a topping lift? What is that?

Petar
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

Richard Abbinanti

Post by Richard Abbinanti »

Thanks for the photo, looks like you were having fun.
Richard

philipl

Post by philipl »

Petar,

This is a relatively new boat for me. I purchased it from Morris Boat yard in Maine. They had it as a trade in against one of their new yachts. Morris did a bunch of work on the interior for me. The hull was painted dark blue by the previous owner. The canvas doesn't actually match, although it appears to match in this photo. I have a double sheave on the mast head. The loose line that you see goes to the top of the camberspar. It should be slightly loose when sailing...but not that loose! I also have a fixed topping lift for the boom with a pulley at the end leading to an adjustment on the boom. I sometimes have to slack this off if it gets in the way of the mainsail. The other loose line at the back of the sale is the second reef. The first reef looks shabby because it is difficult to pull the leech tight with the reefing system on the boat. I usually pack the bottom of the reefed main into the Quick Pack sail cover to tidy things up.

This was our yacht club shake down cruise to Boston harbour. It was indeed a delightful sail back.
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Still trying to figure out how to post photo in reply. Our F38 very similar appearance - Dark blue hull, dark blue canvas. If I succeed in getting photo to show, please note - we don't normally sail with ladder down... person taking picture wanted to see name on transom.http://www.freedomyachts.org/download/f ... iew&id=660
Attachments
Her Diamond June 2011-2.jpg
Her Diamond June 2011-2.jpg (22.22 KiB) Viewed 12974 times
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH