Antenna for SSB

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
mydoggeorge

Antenna for SSB

Post by mydoggeorge »

I've read old posts regarding this, but would like some specific information.

An old whip antenna (which is not working well) was on my Freedom 38 when I purchased it. I would like to replace it either with a wire or a new antenna and am looking for advice on (a) what has worked best for others; (2) how others configured a wire antenna from the mast; and (3) can an antenna wire run from the mast to the stern, or would the roach of the sail interfere?

Thanks so much. Looking forward to some help.

rvivian

Re: Antenna for SSB

Post by rvivian »

After looking into it and reading the same posts on this site I took Geoff's advise and installed a Shakesphere whip antenna in a tube on the stern for my ham radio.

Seems to work pretty well.

(I'm also using a KISS-SSB counterpoise for the ground.)
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I've had very good luck with a 24' Shakespeare whip antenna w/2 medium sized Dynaplates, although a single large plate would probably be better. I used to be a network controller in the NW Caribbean and regularly had people mention what a good signal I put out.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

mydoggeorge

Post by mydoggeorge »

Thanks for your replies. Is this similar to the model you have: Shakespeare 5308-R Ocean Twin SSB Antenna? Or do you have the commercial version?

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

I have a 28-foot Classic 5300 because I got it cheap when someone ordered it and then didn't want it.

With the 28 foot whip on the starboard side and the radar mast with internet antenna, 2M ham antenna, radar and radar reflector on the port side of the stern of a 30-foot boat I get a few questions.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I actually have a 393, but it looks like the antenna that you're suggesting is a better antenna.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org