F36 cockpit locker setup pics?

RadioZephyr

F36 cockpit locker setup pics?

Post by RadioZephyr »

Hi everyone!

I purchased a 1986 F36/38 last July, and I've working on getting everything dialed in over the winter. One of my current projects is a re-organization of the massive cockpit locker on the port side. I never really cleared it out after getting the boat, and it's since become filled with a mixture the PO's junk and my own. I've decided that instead of just clearing it out, throwing stuff away, and then putting everything back, I'd like to come up with some sort of organizational system for the locker. It's so huge that it's easy to just toss stuff in and forget about it, and I want to do what I can to avoid that. :D

Goals:
-be able to climb in and access the aft end of the engine without having to empty the locker into the cockpit.
-storage for long/bulky items (fenders, boat hook, life vests, etc.) that keeps them tucked out of the way, but also easily accessible.
-maximize the large amount of space available through the use of bins/hooks/ties/etc.

So, fellow F36 owners*: what do your cockpit lockers look like? What do you keep in there? Do you have a system for keeping the space from filling up and becoming a mess? Any tricks for storing specific items? What about spare rope? Any pictures you could post would be a great help.

Thanks!

Josh
F36, Hull #25
Boston, MA

*also: F35 owners, and anyone else with a single massive cockpit locker.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

RadioZephyr

Re: F36 cockpit locker setup pics?

Post by RadioZephyr »

Here are some pictures I took of the locker when I first went to see the boat—unfortunately, not much has changed ;) :
IMG_8870.jpeg
IMG_8870.jpeg (105.29 KiB) Viewed 7870 times
IMG_8873.jpeg
IMG_8873.jpeg (109.61 KiB) Viewed 7870 times
IMG_8874.jpeg
IMG_8874.jpeg (97.11 KiB) Viewed 7870 times
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

wcwcwc

Post by wcwcwc »

My 36 came to me with two usefull items in this locker:
1. 8 four inch cleats mounted on a half inch board positioned near the top of the inboard edge of the hatch opening. Used to hang dock lines and other frequently used items on them. Hang the fender's lines on them too.
2. The toe rail is fastened to the deck with bolts which protrude into the locker. Ss turnbuckles were screwed onto these and the free end fitted with either an eye or a hook. Used these for seldom used items like dinghy anchor/rode, spare lines, etc. hooks and eyes can be alternated with a short piece of line tied to the eye with a loop in the other end to drop over the adjacent hook.

I used milk crates to hold items stored in the locker. Each crate had a lanyard tied to it and led to the cleats mentioned in 1 above. You can shove the crates back towards the stern. Fenders can lie on top of the milk crates. For the boat hook tie a lanyard at the hook end then push the handle end aft under the seat and hang it one of the cleats. A stern danforth anchor and rode was lashed to the bulkhead just aft of the engine space under the cockpit.

Due to the forward and inward slope of this space it is hard to keep the forward end clear for access to the engine but if every thing has a lanyard attached to a cleat you can get it out and on deck quickly to work below.

Hope you enjoy this great boat.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

Wow, these are some great ideas, thanks for sharing! I never would have thought to put turnbuckles on those toe rail bolts, very interesting.

Was there a shelf in your locker like the one in the second picture, or was that something that a PO of my boat installed?
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA