Lewmar clutch stoppers for 40/40

Paul Langevin

Lewmar clutch stoppers for 40/40

Post by Paul Langevin »

Hello all, Last year I replaced almost all of the running rigging on our 40/40 (hull #11). During last season I noticed that the main hahlyard was slipping significantly while under sail. I am in the process of tryin to find rebuild parts for the Lewmar stoppers that were original to the boat. I was wondering if others had had similar experience with the main halyard slipping and if so how the problem was solved. thanks Paul
Paul Langevin S/V StarStruck, Freeedon 40/40

amatuana

Re: Lewmar clutch stoppers for 40/40

Post by amatuana »

Paul

Were you able to sort this out?

I am having the same issue. I suspect it is a spring kit.

Paul Langevin

Post by Paul Langevin »

We replaced main halyard last year (ultra low stretch line that is even more slippery) and continue to have the problem. It's not a big deal but so far the only solution is leaving it on the winch which isn't really a solution if you want to use the winch for anything else(which we always do). I have new springs on All of my Lewmar clutches and that doesn't seem to be the fix. I was actually thinking of trying a Cunningham this year to see how that might improve sail shape in higher winds. Sails are only three years old and in first class condition so the mainsail itself is certainly not the problem. I just think that is a lot of pressure on the halyard. I raced on a Farr 37 and we had a jam cleat ahead of the clutch stopper on the main to try and prevent halyard slip. I might also try that. If you find/hear of something better I'd still be interested.
Paul Langevin S/V StarStruck, Freeedon 40/40

andygc

Post by andygc »

Have you tried contacting Lewmar support? I've found them very helpful.
Sold for health reasons :(

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

I know that this is an older thread. But am currently dealing with this myself. My boat has spinlock clutches and the base-plate and cam are replaceable. From what I have read if there is any "silver" showing on the teeth they are worn and need to be replaced. I have ordered the kit and will let you know how that works out. I am also considering putting a jam cleat or something forward of the clutch. There is a lot of pressure on that halyard.
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

If you’re sticking with Spinlock, go for the ceramic cam and baseplate for your main halyard. They won’t wear as fast on the line with the highest load on the boat.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

I talked with spinlock about that but they warned it would chew through my halyard material very quickly. They said it designed for the higher tech lines. So for now I will stick with the aluminum. When I have to replace the halyard I will go higher tech and ceramic.

Thanks for the idea!
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA