Outhaul on F35 P

Camino

Outhaul on F35 P

Post by Camino »

My outhaul has been in a more or less stuck position since I bought the boat in October - foot is "sort of taught- sort of loose" - not what one wants for n Ca :). I was going to get to it after I figured out the reefing system. Like several have said -- once I had the original "single line" reefing system rigged I could reef but hardly shake out a reef. So today I opened the aft end of the 17' boom and of course had to cut the outhaul from the sheeve as it pinned the boom-end tight. Once opened I partnered a line to the outhaul and pulled - not a budge. Several hours later , and consulting with Ed from this forum, i discovered that there are 2 more blocks for the outhaul with Becketts for the outhaul. All in the boom was a mess of wrapped line. I bought a piece of 5/16 amsteel at 10', it now will lead from the clew, around the boom end sheeve and to the aft outhaul block's becket. I'm putting in single line reefing with no shuttle blocks - figuring on first reef 80', second reef 120' to be safe. I'll use 3/8" something as that'll work in my rope clutches and amsteel seems too expensive for that. Let you know what happens! I will also fix blocks to the cringle grommets to help. I'm not using my laptop so can't add pics!
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

FreedomJohn

Re: Outhaul on F35 P

Post by FreedomJohn »

Hi Camino,

Just spent a very frustrating weekend trying to sort the reefing system, on my Freedom 35, I should have studied more and taken more photos before the Masts came down for transportation. Do you have any drawings / Photos you can share before, Would be of great help, Best regards,

John.

Camino

Re: Outhaul on F35 P

Post by Camino »

John - both drawings below are from on-line and are not exactly how my f35 P was rigged - what is not shown is the out-haul configuration - pic with the lines pouring out the boom-end shows 1 blue spectra line - I removed the original line tied to the outhauls aft block's becket and replaced with the blue spectra. Both of my outhaul blocks could only be reached through the outhaul boom slot near the mast. It took me a long time to untie the original line and tie in the spectra to the becket, working through that little slot. My outhaul had 2 blocks - pretty sure this is how it went: forward block has one becket facing forward - line from becket secured to boom-end near the gooseneck - I could not get to that tie off point as it looked like rivets were holding the pad-eye secure point. That line is probably 6' to the becket of the first outhaul block. Second block's forward facing becket has line tied in and going to the sheeve in the first block, around the sheeve and back to the sheeve in the second block and then passes out the boom slot as the outhaul line. Second block has an aft facing becket where the blue spectra line is now attached going out the boom end. Does that make sense?
Pic of lines - blue is new outhaul that wil go up through boom-end sheeve to sail clew.
Black specked line is topping lift
white/green - first reef forward section of one line doubled (blocks are out so seen are both lines for each reef)
white/red - second reef forward section showing one line doubled.

Drawing with no blocks is sort of how mine will be when my lines arrive - mast end is not correct however but close enough. Plus I'm putting a small block at each reef grommet cringle to help with friction. The drawing with the reef blocks only shows one reef and does not show the outhaul at all.
Attachments
IMG_2867.jpg
IMG_2867.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 3120 times
IMG_1031.jpg
IMG_1031.jpg (9.23 KiB) Viewed 3120 times
IMG_1027.jpg
IMG_1027.jpg (11.47 KiB) Viewed 3120 times