F32 Saloon Table??

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
murphy1jj

F32 Saloon Table??

Post by murphy1jj »

Hi, I'm a new F32 owner and have half moon saloon table on a pedestal mount. The table top comes off fairly easily (lifts off) and I'm trying to figure out how to remove the pole/pedestal in order to occasionally convert it to a berth. I suspect the previous owner modified the pedestal to make it a permanent mount. Any thoughts on how to convert back or remove it is greatly appreciated.
John
ConNora Mae
84 F32 #65
Wrightsville Beach, NC

Grimsby_Alan

Re: F32 Saloon Table??

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

Mine is seized both top and bottom. I have applied PB blaster at the base. I will let you know if it has any effect when next at the boat.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

I am able to remove the table from the post, but not the post from the mount. On mine, it does not seem to be designed for the table to convert to a birth as there are no rests for the table if I were able to drop it.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

Zengirl

Post by Zengirl »

The same thing with my table. Unscrew the base and take the base and pole to a machine shop and have them use the press to get it out. Cost about $20. Than sand all rust away and grease. I used vaseline..haha but it worked and still works. Good luck, don't give up. I then had a 3" dense foam cushion made ($70) and I made a cover. Good to go.

gulfcoastsailor

Post by gulfcoastsailor »

Thought mine was fused to the floor but finally got it free. Lots of wiggly, tapping and cursing did the trick. Oh, one more trick. I got under it and pressed my back up into the table while my sweetie swiveled the top and tapped the tube. Now we used it more for sleeping than eating.
Chip

"Encore"
Freedom 32
1985 #72

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Our table was a bit sticky at first but we utilized the BFAFI methodology (and ample swearing) and it came loose. Once freed we cleaned, sanded and now it goes up and down very easily.

Our settee has grooves in it that match small wood pieces on the underside of the table making a rather large bed. It came with cushions that we can add on top of the table. We tend to use plush polyester fleece blankets over it as it smoothes out all of the lumps so it is great to sleep on - plus the kids can "burrito up" in them. Those blankets dont soak up water - so they are great.

We are thinking of making a smaller table made as well for ease of work (I do much of my consulting from the boat) and would love to create a more ergonomic work station for writing. We will probably custom design something and have it built for ease of work. Since we are in Ft Lauderdale there are no shortage of wood shops.

Good luck getting it free.
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

murphy1jj

Post by murphy1jj »

Thanks to all for your insight - once I knew it was supposed to come off, I became more comfortable using a little more force. I'm pleased to report that after some doses of WD40 coupled with some vigorous twisting and turning it came free.

Thanks again!

John
John
ConNora Mae
84 F32 #65
Wrightsville Beach, NC

Tmack

Post by Tmack »

Hi John,

Can you post, or send, a picture of your finished project? My wife would like to convert our Saloon table to form a full berth also (after we tried to sleep in the V-berth).

Thanks. Tom

ps. I am also a new F32 owner.

murphy1jj

Post by murphy1jj »

Tom, here are the first wave of Pics. They show the table installed (1), table top removed (2), and Table bottom showing table to support table when lowered into berth position. Three pics is limit per post - more to follow.
Attachments
Bottom of table
Bottom of table
Table 3.jpg (43.11 KiB) Viewed 7370 times
Table top removed
Table top removed
Table 2.jpg (59.54 KiB) Viewed 7370 times
Table top in place
Table top in place
Table 1.jpg (51.78 KiB) Viewed 7370 times
John
ConNora Mae